cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gezb
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

mcafee slowing down chrome (i think)

I got a new laptop yesterday and with it came free McAfee software so when it asked if i want to download it I said yes. Since then Chrome has been really slow, a lot of pages don't appear, I get messages saying wait or kill. It also has an extension which and asks do I want it to make changes to my computer. So I have a few questions - could McAfee be slowing down my laptop? Should I remove the extension? Do I want it to make changes to my computer? How can I stop it slowing down my brand new laptop/get chrome to work? I looked in programs it says I have  Live Safe and also web advisor with regards to McAfee.  Thanks

4 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 5

Re: mcafee slowing down chrome (i think)

Hi @gezb 

Greetings From McAfee!!!

Google Chrome uses a preloading service, which tries to anticipate the pages you will load, such as your homepage. In some situations, this service can cause the Google homepage to load before McAfee WebAdvisor, and its icons, load.

Please go through the article and perform the steps to see whether the issue is fixed.

Alternatively, you can reach our consumer support from below link.

McAfee Consumer Support

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

gezb
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Sorry, I couldn't find the article , it took me to a virtual assistant who didn't understand

Ron88
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I have very slow performance on chrome lately until the chrome page just freeze and does not respond to anything.

I have several profile for different Gmail Account. So i switch to another profile. It works fine with the same website loaded. Quick and Snappy.

I started to suspect that one of the extension in Chrome with my main Gmail Account is causing it.

I turn off all the extension and it solved the issue. 

Following i started turning on the extension one at a time and load the same set of website that cause the freezing issue. All extension work fine until i enabled McAfee® WebAdvisor. This causes the freezing issue.

Website loaded is 1 x Youtube video playing and 1 browser search for lenovo and click on the website. Once i click it freezes for a moment then resume.

Please fix this

Schmoo64
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I've was experiencing the same performance issues with WebAdvisor as well using Chrome and Edge.

This started happening in late April 2023. McAfee most likely released an automatic update and unfortunately didn't fully test the new update before releasing it to their customers.

I Stopped and disabled the service for WebAdvisor on "startup" on my Windows 10 machine.

No more performance issues. Unfortunately, that doesn't resolve the problem with WebAdvisor.

It's basically removing WebAdvisor - A product we all pay for with our yearly subscription.

I opened up a support ticket with McAfee. Waiting to hear back from them. Any updates I received I will let the you know.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community