cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mercutio
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Seems to be blocking all Websites

Since Friday 6 January I have not been able to access ANY websites on my PC (Windows 10).

It indicates that there may be a problem with the Firewall.

I have tried to disable the FireWall in LiveSafe, but it is not being accepted even if I run as an Administrator.

All other options in FireWall just 'hang'!

I have tried reviewing the 'history' to find out if there was a McAfee update overnight (Thursday/Friday) but I can only find the last update which was about 2 hours ago, with the next one in about 2 hours.

Is anyone else been inhibited from accessing all websites, from their PC, since 5/6 January 2023?

How to disable the Firewall to assess whether it is the FireWall (McAfee) where the problem lies?  (Other than through the LiveSafe menu options!).

Thank you.

P.S I also tried working through Windows Defender to ensure there wasn't a conflict, but that product states that FireWall, Virus Protection etc. is controlled by an alternative application (McAfee).

5 Replies
Venkat_YM
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Seems to be blocking all Websites

Hi @Mercutio 

Greetings From McAfee.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please perform the below steps and check how it goes.

• Reset Network settings by following below steps
  • Run command prompt with elevated rights: press Ctrl + R, type cmd, and press Enter
    Type: ipconfig /flushdns and enter
  • Add your home wifi network as trusted network and Reset firewall settings in the McAfee application.
  • Remove any 3rd party anti-virus if installed on the computer device.
  • Keep windows updates and McAfee updates up to date

Alternatively, you can always contact chat support using the link below for immediate assistance or call our helpline number 24/7 (866-622-3911)US.

McAfee Support

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Regards,
Venkat

Mercutio
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

The flushdns came back as successfully flushed.

But 'My Network Connections' is just hanging (looks like it is trying to 'retrieve' data and has been for almost half an hour now!)

The 'Restore Defaults' (FireWall) didn't seem to do anything.

'Turn Off' FireWall also did nothing!

aaikido
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Hello @Mercutio,

I had the same problem today(08.03.2023). McAfee was blocking every website I would like to visit.

I also reflushed my DNS but that did not help. 

I am running pi-hole in the background tho so I thought, that this might be the problem and it was...

So if you are using pi-hole just restart it and you can use ur browser normal again withoutMcAfee blocking everything. 

If you don't have pihole I'd check my dns-server on my Router because pihole is a dns-based domainblockingapplication, so there might be something wrong with your dns-server on your router. 

I hope I could help!

aaikido

Mercutio
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

** Update **
About a week after I posted my enquiry I had a Microsoft update/patch and everything went back to normal.

I am presuming that it was a prior Microsoft update/patch that caused the problem with the Firewall/Virus software.

However, I don't understand why I was only able to access some, but not all, McAfee website pages!
For example, I couldn't post a message on community support, but was still able to see and read some of the other McAfee pages.

For the time being this 'query' has been resolved.

andrewricci295
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

How take it off McAff anti-virus blocked

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community