cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmahesh84
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

How to access McAfee Vault Files

Hi, I was using McAfee Vault and placed my data. I had to reinstall OS on my laptop recently and I installed latest Total Protection. Noticed that it didn't have Vault. Any suggestion on how to retrieve the data I placed in my Vault files?

8 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to access McAfee Vault Files

Hi @pmahesh84 

Greetings from McAfee!!

At McAfee, we continually review and adjust our product portfolio to best meet the needs of our customers. For this reason, we've made the strategic decision to remove the File Lock feature in our security products for Windows, such as LiveSafe and Total Protection.

We want to make sure that our users have the most relevant security features in the products that we provide. Although File Lock was popular in the past, our data shows customers increasingly moving toward other options to encrypt and store their data securely across different platforms.

Please go through the article for more information

File Lock Feature Removal

Alternatively, you can reach consumer support for more information.

McAfee consumer support

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

pmahesh84
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your reply. I understand the reason for McAfee removing the feature. But is there a way to recover the data I placed in the vault? Is there a version to which I can downgrade the total protection to access Vault and then come back to current version?

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

hello,

mcafee made a service doc when vault feature was removed how to open to recover data.

maybe this can still be of help;

McAfee KB - Unable to open McAfee Vault after a recent McAfee update (TS102865)

greetings

pmahesh84
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find the sys file in drivers folder to rename. So I just copied the one attached in the article after remaining it as suggested. My problem is, I don't have the Vault UI itself in the Total Protection I have. I'm in R16

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

hello,

thanks for the update.

at default Windows explorer that is used to view files does not show the so called hidden files for security reasons.

you could try this option if this will make the file visible.

if not set the view option back as it was before.

View hidden files and folders in Windows
  1. Open File Explorer from the taskbar.
  2. Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.
  3. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.

best is than to contact live support if they can assist you perhaps;

https://service.mcafee.com

in the middle of the page on the right side you will see contact/talk to expert and follow the next steps for assistance

yes, current version is version 16.0R50 but i believe it was already removed about a year ago..............

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 9

Other ways to get vault back are

1 go back to a restore point prior to 22 Feb 2022. That has worked for some.

2 similarly use a backup via a backup program to do the same.

3 install a trial program that usedca version prior to that date as per user mentioned here. I cannot confirm this but sounds possible

https://forums.mcafee.com/t5/General-Discussions/Mcaffe-Vault-Recover-files-after-removal-of-file-lo...

Call support and tell them the issue you are having with the system file as cyberdude suggests

pmahesh84
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for the link. I managed to find a trial version and installed it after removing the latest one. Now I can see the vault section being available. I copied my .vault files to correct location and tried to import but I get the error saying 

"The vault you're trying to open isn't a File Lock vault". 

Looks like a version issue. Not sure on proceeding further from here.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 9

Sorry cannot help here maybe the mods can suggest an answer. Does look like a version issue. 

Maybe message the guy who posted the suggestion of using a trial if he even saw that message.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community