cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlam9147
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Alert viewer not responding

I have the same problem. After logging on to an account the Alertviewer process gives a blank white box in the right hand bottom corner and uses a fair amount of CPU however another process "ChromiumContaineredelegate.exe" keeps eating up memory in small chunks untill all available memory is used up. At that this a red cross appears in the alertviewer white box and the process can be closed with an report going to microsoft. However after that the process restarts all over again

I removed McAfee antivirus and installed a competitors anti-virus and not such issue occurred. Would like this fixed so that I can move back McAfee Total Protection

Thank you for your support and assistance

19 Replies
Edward_Franso
Message 2 of 20

Re: Alert viewer not responding

Hi @dlam9147 

We regret for the inconvenience!

Kindly uninstall 3rd party Antivirus and reinstall the McAfee software.

Open McAfee and open settings go to firewall and select as recommented, if issue 
persists please let us know with the following to assist you better

1. Operating system details
  2. McAfee version details
  3. Screen shots

Alternatively, You can always contact the chat support using below link for immediate assistance.

McAfee Support

Regards,
Edward Franso 

Mlindos
Contributor II
Message 3 of 20

Hi Edward this problem has been reported by more than 20 people in the last 3 day alone. I have the same problem, no 3rd party antivirus installed, I uninstalled Mcafee and reinstalled it did not work, I went as far as reinstalling Windows 10 from the beginning and it did not work.

Mcafee is the common denominator here.

_j_
Contributor II
Message 4 of 20

I discuss in another post uninstalling and running the MCRP tool before reinstalling. This appears to have worked for me.
Maverik
Contributor II
Message 5 of 20

This appears to have been caused by a Windows 10 or McAfee update which does not fully integrate through their update process on current installs, which then causes McAfee Chromium Delegate to suck more and more memory as the Alert Viewer is stuck on either a white window or a garbled text display.  The longer the computer is on, the more memory is used until it grounds almost to a halt, depending on your core memory capacity, so action is needed swiftly when the computer is switched on. If task manager is viewed, the memory drain can be seen climbing up the longer the computer is on. I had this on two computers and solved it as follows.

Restart your computer and as quick as possible log in to your mcafee account and locate your subscription and download the software again. This is an installation file which runs the installation for you. If by the time the installation file is downloaded, your computer has slowed down too much, then restart the computer, locate the installation file in file explorer : downloads and double click the installation file. It may take some time as whilst the installation is taking place, the computer will slow as the bug drains memory.

This worked on both computers and the problem did not reoccur. This issue raises a question around the current stability of the McAfee product in a windows environment. Will look forward to seeing official comment from McAfee.

endorphin
Contributor II
Message 6 of 20

I have the same problem on PC's and laptop with windows 10 and 11. I reinstalled the McAfee software but this does not resolve the problem on my laptop. I have also noticed that the problem does not appear every day? 

felrenno
Contributor II
Message 7 of 20

I have the same problem. There are several complaints on the same subject.

As a product user, as well as other users who are describing the same situation, I request an effective solution to the problem.

That an update be made available by McAfee in view of the impossibility of using the antivirus.

In my specific case, it is very important to block programs from accessing the internet, so Alert Viewer becomes an essential item in my workflow and I need its full operation.

It's no use reinstalling the program (when I do it the inconvenience is even greater, because I need to reconfigure all the internet connections for my programs inside the Firewall). The error is within the program's own source code. Notebook battery life was cut in half in simple operations.

Please, I need a definitive solution, as do all other users, otherwise I will be forced to cancel my subscription and switch to an application from your competitors.

EMa5
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

My is windows 11 and I am fully updated all my apps including McAfee.  I am using the Total Protection.  It gives me the same problem again and again at the lower right corner with a blank alert viewer and keep eating up my laptop memory. I reinstalled McAfee twice since then but the problem persists!!!!!!!!!!  Really disappointed at the company.  I have been using McAfee for more than 15 years!!!!!!!!!!! Please dig into the problem and solve it seriously!!!!!!!!!!!

Maverik
Contributor II
Message 9 of 20

After my joy of fixing this with a reinstall, the same problem is back. I'll have to reinstall again, and no doubt again and again.

McAfee - when are you going to fix this? It is really poor show to have these kinds of flaws and will just push people to renew with another provider.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 20

@Maverik 

which mcafee version number have you currently ?

if you open mcafee there is on the left side question mark.

clicking on that you see info or about

overhtere you find version number like 16.0R46 for example.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community