Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vdexf
Contributor II
Message 1 of 45

Alert viewer not responding and Chromium Container Delegate causing 100% usage

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have seen multiple topics on this , but now it is causing issues and iterfering with my work.

The alert viewer just hangs , cannot be closed and shows weird text (attached) , and i am unable to close it along with this i can see that the "Mcafee chromium container delegate" is having over 100% RAM usage, this is causing the system to lagg along with multiple applications to now work properly , an example of this is Firefox , it starts to lagg as soon as the alert pops up.

This is causing major issues as I am unable to work properly due to this.

The OS is Windows 10 Pro Build 19043

Is there any resolution for this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Venkat_YM
Message 20 of 45

Re: Alert viewer not responding and Chromium Container Delegate causing 100% usage

Jump to solution

Hi @michael_jakarta 

Greetings from McAfee.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

We are working towards the resolution and will update you once the issue got fixed. Please perform the below steps for the other query which you would like to receive alerts before a program connects internet.

• Open McAfee application
  • Click settings gear icon which can be seen at the bottom left corner of the UI
  • Click General settings->Information alerts
  • check-> A program is allowed to connect the internet

Alternatively, you can always contact chat support using the link below for immediate assistance or call our helpline number 24/7 (866-622-3911)US.

McAfee Support

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Regards,
Venkat

View solution in original post

44 Replies
Kumar_suman
Message 2 of 45

Re: Alert viewer not responding and Chromium Container Delegate causing 100% usage

Jump to solution

Hi @vdexf ,

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. McAfee is currently investigating the cause. In the mean time we recommend you to follow the below steps and update us the outcome.

• Open McAfee
  • Click My protection (4-Sqare box)
  • click on firewall
  • open Traffic controller
  • Select Smart access (Recommended)
  • Click Apply
  • Reboot the PC

Regards,

Kumar

Keeterh
Contributor
Message 3 of 45

Jump to solution

Have exactly the same issue … running Total Protection on a recently updated Win11 PC problem started before I ran the Win11 upgrade. Current Op system is Win11 Version 21H2 OS Build 22000.675 same issue occurring now as with prior Win10 os 

HP11
Contributor
Message 4 of 45

Jump to solution

Same issue on my side.

I detected, that the process "McAfee Chromium Container Delegate" uses >2,5GB RAM. This leads to memory swapping and no further work is possible.

It occured first time after updating to Firefox 100.0, not sure if this is the root cause.

After setting Firewall as recommended above it seems to be solved. Thanks a lot.

Regards HP11

vdexf
Contributor II
Message 5 of 45

Jump to solution

I ended up adding firefox in firewall manually , from what i can find the issue was that due to the recent firefox update it was not there in the firewall rules. So whenever i started it , mcafee would ask if firefox should be allowed or not , but apparently as the alertviewer doesnt work now i was unable to click on allow. Due to this firefox was unable to connect to internet and launch properly. This apparently is not a good approach , i hope soon a mcafeeupdate will solve the alertviewer issue as for someone who uses firewall alot this is a big issue.

Ted72
Contributor
Message 6 of 45

Jump to solution

Same problem. A blank notification popup would appear. At first I would not notice until I looked at the Desktop. I used to see some html code on the notification. Now I see it after opening my browser, Brave. I have to try to move it (drag) to be able to see the exit button. I'm seeing that it eats up a lot of RAM and takes up so much CPU time. In other words resources, and slows down the PC.image.png

_j_
Contributor II
Message 7 of 45

Jump to solution

Posting has been disabled where I originally discussed this issue.  Yesterday I had some free time to mess around with this a bit.  I tried something similar to this, messing around with even more firewall settings, and I thought that the problem had resolved after a manual McAfee update that I installed in preparation for testing.  Yesterday afternoon, however, the problem returned.  Yesterday evening I did a full uninstall of McAfee, and then ran the MCRP tool; my usual procedure before further exploration.  I reinstalled the software, and have been using this machine with a large, varied number of programs open simultaneously, and have not yet had the problem return, and peat in spite of the normally large number of program request popups that come with a reinstall.  It looks like this may have resolved my problem.

pipe5351
Contributor
Message 8 of 45

Jump to solution

I have the same problem as getting a "not responding" alert viewer after the recent windows 10 update.
I had multiple computers, and this problem has happened to different machines in the previous windows update. The "solution" for that is to reinstall McAfee total protection.

However, I would not call that a "solution"; it is just a workaround. The alert viewer design has a fundamental conflict with windows and often breaks after each windows update.

What is McAfee's plan for addressing the problem? Reinstalling the app on multiple machines is very time-consuming.  I am seriously thinking of not renewing McAfee when the current subscription expires, as it is wasting too much of my time.

jq1801
Contributor
Message 9 of 45

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue, no I will not change the settings because I want to see when programs want to access the internet. Is there another solution?

jq1801
Contributor
Message 10 of 45

Jump to solution

So after talking with McAfee support their suggested workaround is to uninstall McAfee until they fix the issue and then reinstall the software. Essentially telling me that the basic software is Windows works just fine and we don't need McAfee. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community