cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_153650
Former Member
Message 1 of 134

Site Advisor browser button is always gray?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am running a Windows XP pc with SP3 and IE8 (w/updates) installed.  I have Site Advisor installed as part of my McAfee Antivirus Plus subscription.  Ever since the last Site Advisor update (12/14/12, I think) my Site Advisor (v. 3.6.0.187) toolbar button is always gray.  I have looked just about everywhere in this column for an answer to this problem.  I ran MVT, it says there are no problems.  I've uninstalled and re-installed Site Advisor, ran MVT again; it still says no problems.

I'm wondering if there's a setting I have inadvertently set incorrectly, or a registry key I could check to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions you can offer.

'LizBeth

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
user_153650
Former Member
Message 130 of 134

Re: Site Advisor browser button is always gray?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am happy to say that Site Advisor is finally working again!    It must have been the latest update (mentioned in post 127 above) and a clean re-boot that did it!  Thank you, McAfee!!!

'LizBeth

Message was edited by: 'LizBeth on 6/2/13 12:05:01 AM EDT

View solution in original post

133 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 134

Jump to solution

If the SiteAdvisor button is greyed out in IE that usually means that your SiteAdvisor program can't talk to the SiteAdvisor servers for some reason. Could be that this is a faulty setting somewhere, but it might be in IE, the McAfee firewall, or somewhere else.

First steps first : click the arrow to the right of the button and check the following -

• About - Should confirm that you've got 3.6.0.187 (don't bother trying to update from that window, it doesn't work properly. A known bug.)
  • Help - Should take you to the SiteAdvisor page. The information in the address bar will provide a snapshot of your current setup (see the example below)

SA url details.JPG

• Options - It's worth checking these from time to time in case something has changed, although I can't see anything in there that would prevent your system from communicating with SiteAdvisor servers.

You don't say if you can still get a site report by clicking on the button. Does that still work?

And lastly, does the SiteAdvisor button show Green in any other browser you've got installed?

user_153650
Former Member
Message 3 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply, Hayton.

1.  About confirms that I have 3.6.0.187 installed.

2.  Help takes me here:  http://www.siteadvisor.com/support/index.html?pip=false&premium=false&client_uid=1889866039&client_v...

3. Options appear to be the same as they always have.

The site report  still works.  This site https://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/https://community.mcafee.com/message/274410%23274410?pip=false&pre... has a green checkmark..

I only have IE installed, so I can't compare it to anything else.  Are there any particular IE settings I should check to see if that is the problem?

Thank you again for any help/suggestions.

'LizBeth

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 134

Jump to solution

Okay, so the button still allows you to get a site review. The lack of a colour for the button may be due to known problems that SiteAdvisor is currently having - a small matter of two not-very-compatible versions running side by side on different servers. You may be trying to connect to a server hosting the new version. Possibly. As I said, a greyed-out button usually means a problem talking to the server. But, whatever, it still seems to work. I'll be rather glad when the current situation with the servers is sorted out ...

Message was edited by: Hayton on 10/02/13 23:43:45 GMT
mvissche
Contributor III
Message 5 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi there, this is Mark (SiteAdvisor product manager).

These symptoms are not typical - I double checked with the Engineering team and it seems like this might only happen if there is something unusual going on with DNS entries on the machine.

Is it possible that a 3rd party program has been recently installed that would change your DNS settings?

Mark

user_153650
Former Member
Message 6 of 134

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply, Hayton.  I've been having this problem consistently for quite some time now.

I will do as mvissche (Mark, Site Advisor product manager) suggests, and see if something could have changed my DNS settings.

Thank you again for your time and support in tyring to help me.

'LizBeth

user_153650
Former Member
Message 7 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply as well.  What would cause this, and how would I check?

The only thing I can think of is that I installed Price Blink (a BHO) during the Christmas shopping season, which I have since disabled.

'LizBeth

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 8 of 134

Jump to solution

I use dialup and have changed nothing on the system. Nothing new installed , other than updates to existing programs. For some time now , the SA button is gray most of the time. However , it does go green once in awhile.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 9 of 134

Jump to solution

P.S.  Mark,  I'm not having any problems with any other programs?  Please advise re: DNS settings . . . where can I find these, and how do I tell if something has changed?  This is not my area of expertise . . .

Thank you,

'LizBeth

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 134

Jump to solution

@'Lizbeth

If you can get to websites without any problems your DNS settings are probably fine but here's an easy-to-follow guide to how to check them, as given by BT :

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/601/~/are-my-domain-name-service-(dns)-settings-corre...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community