cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigstorr
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

McAfee tells me my site is dodgy and has blocked access

I tried to  view my index page but a notice told me the site was dodgy.  However there are no warnings about the site on McAfee site advisor.  What is going on? Site is www.raundsfestival.com

3 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee tells me my site is dodgy and has blocked access

Hi,

Site ratings are based on tests conducted by McAfee using an army of computers that look for all kinds of threats. I did notice that your site (www.raundsfestival.com) is not yet rated & it is Grey in color. In general websites are rated gray when McAfee has no evidence or are currently collecting evidence about a site. If you would like your site to be tested, please submit your request on our feedback form by clicking the below link or by pasting the link in the address bar on Internet Explorer:

http://mcaf.ee/1joe4

You can also submit your request through our user feedback form by clicking on the below link or by pasting the link in the address bar on Internet Explorer:

http://mcaf.ee/y5j9o

Message was edited by: JaiPrakash on 10/27/11 9:15:55 AM CDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I see Jai has already replied and given you some basic information. There are guides for site owners HERE and HERE which give more information about contacting SiteAdvisor and TrustedSource.

I've checked the site page and it does, as Jai says, show a grey SiteAdvisor icon which usually means the site is unrated. You have a rating of Safe on the site's SiteAdvisor page, so I checked TrustedSource, and that shows you as Unverified - which means there is something waiting to be evaluated. WOT shows you as Green, but with apparently only one user rating, so that doesn't help much.

However, running a couple of basic checks brings up something. Your WhoIs information is admirably complete, so I looked at your site's IP address to find any historical problems with the IP. Sure enough, Project Honeypot lists that address as currently okay but with a historical problem related to sending spam. That means you are rated as possibly unsafe. You can clear that flag easily enough by going to their website at http://projecthoneypot.org/ip_83.170.122.1  (see below) where you will see some examples of what was sent out and classed as spam. That could just mean a site hosted on the server was infected by a spam-sending piece of malware. It seems okay now, at least as far as spam is concerned.

If you are the owner of this IP address, you can whitelist it by connecting to this paged from the IP itself (or from an IP within /24). Alternatively, the IP will be auto excused after 90 days of no activity.

However, that IP address is currently flagged Red by WOT (see http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/83.170.122.1) with a recent report of problems on the server. Following that through brings up a recent message ("10/09", which I take to be October 9th) that the address is a "zeus v2 drop zone". Which is very bad news, because your site gets caught up in the backwash from being on that server : all sites hosted there will be suspect until the problem is cleared. Whether it has been I don't know. If the information that you are with UK2.net is correct you'll have to contact hostmaster@uk2.net to ask them about this.

So the problem would seem to be with your hosting service provider rather than with your site. Speaking of which, the Raunds Festival looks like a great day out. I'll pass the site link on to my sister and see if she knows about it. I used to know Raunds, aeons ago. It didn't have any festival then, or I don't remember it if it did...

Let me know what uk2.net say about the server/IP problem. I'll keep an eye on this.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 27/10/11 17:04:03 IST
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Thread moved into SiteAdvisor section.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community