cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pharmalert
Former Member
Message 41 of 113

Re: Explain this - domain rated RED, despite ALL GREEN downloads, ALL GREEN reviews, ALL GREEN links

Jump to solution

Likewise, I was in a rush to fix the problem, so I hurriedly put in an updated review.  Then I checked back and saw that AlphaCentauri had identified the source of the problem. By then it was too late, and I had made the wrong assumption that there had been an issue, and that it had been fixed. My mistake, I apologise for my haste.

Like you, I would like to see the wrong reviews removed by McAfee. Since (I repeat) I am in no way associated with that company nor recive any remuneration for my efforts on their behalf, and since I also know the frustrations of trying to get them to remove a posting in error - a long standing bone of contention between the voluntary reviewers and the recipients of our good will - I can not promise to be able to have it removed - that's up to McAfee.

I applaud your own rapid response in updating your own web site. I agree that it would be nice, to put it mildly, if McAfee could match your good example.

Here is a suggestion that I hope you will consider.  Site owners are given the option by McAfee to put their own review of their own site right up front. It appears before any of the volunteers' reviews. In fact, if users do not click the option to "View Community Reviews" then that is all that is seen.  You can do that by following the link at

http://user.siteadvisor.com/forums/websiteOwnerVerification.php?domain=bitsum.com

In doing so, bear in mind that we both hope to have the wrong reviews removed by McAfee, so you might like to word it accordingly. Or you could put in a refutation, and update it later as fits.

Next review:

This site has been scanned and thoroughly evaluated as of 01/25/2011,  and found safe. Our previous post has been found to be a false positive

jcollake
Former Member
Message 42 of 113

Re: Explain this - domain rated RED, despite ALL GREEN downloads, ALL GREEN reviews, ALL GREEN links

Jump to solution

I am starting to like you , despite this misunderstanding. I checked that false positive link, and strangely it doesn't even look like a false positive. It looked like somebody submitted that file for analysis and it checked out OK, but maybe I am reading it wrong. Regardless, we all acknowledge it was a mistake.

Let's wait and see if McAfee will actually just remove both comments. This keeps your reputation in-tact, and mine as well. I see no reason why they wouldn't.

I do utilize the 'Owner Feedback' already, and may amend or change it. Usually, if the site is green, users don't check further anyway - usually.

So, let's see if the corporation does the right thing. The thing everyone agrees upon. You can bet that I will, likewise, reflect their actions in all statements I've made. I give criticism when due, but praise just as readily.

jcollake
Former Member
Message 43 of 113

Jump to solution

And THANK YOU pharamalert for making a pre-emptive second review . That is what I expected to see, had I not possibly put everyone in a frantic rush ;o. Anyway, I really hope SA improves some of its policies, like giving reviewers real weight. It is simple to do, and would improve accuracy and response time to problems tremendously. Of course, they have money, so hiring employees is also something they should do -- relying on volunteers isn't right when they make their kind of profits.

For me, I'm over it. I've got to get back to real work. I pray nothing reminds me of the ordeal anytime soon, lol. I almost did another blog posting (did for a few minutes in fact), then noticed your second review and removed it. I'll just let it die out, and hope McAfee does the right thing to clear up any user who might be confused by the whole thing.

AlphaCentauri
Former Member
Message 44 of 113

Jump to solution

Volunteer reviewers have absolutely zero effect on McAfee's color coding. We wish we did. But this is not MyWot. Just so everyone is clear on that. So pharmalert's review did not cause McAfee to rate your site red. It's a case of post hoc ergo prompter hoc. Both changes were occasioned by a third event that is the real cause.

Users can't edit or delete their posts. Again, we wish we could do that, the way we can on MyWot, which even allows bulk editing of bulk mistakes.

As far as getting McAfee to delete the negative posts, you might want to rethink that. Until you identify the underlying cause of both bad reviews, somewhere out in cyberspace there may be some mistaken information saying your site is dangerous. By leaving the reviews the way they are, you then have the opportunity to explain that like many highly original software developers, your products occasionally are detected as false positives and must be reanalyzed.

I've submitted plenty of reports to AV companies about false positive detections of programs I know are safe. At one point, I even had to contact Symantec because they were calling Mozilla Suite (Seamonkey) malware! This is your chance to educate your customer base about the whole issue of the limitations of malware detection. Then the next time some AV program comes up with a false positive, they won't panic and lose confidence in your product.

When you're posting that site owner review, you might consider the fact that people visiting the page who are unaware of this kerfluffle will read what you have to say, but they will not see any attempt at rebuttal from McAfee. Think of what conclusions you might draw if you were walking down the street and saw someone arguing and making accusations and threats of lawsuits when you could see no one else around provoking that person. Visitors may get worried about what your temperment would be if they bought your product and ever had to call for support, whereas if they saw you taking the opportunity to educate people, they would be more likely to feel they could rely on you if they had trouble.  Don't do things that may harm your reputation in the course of trying to save it.

jcollake
Former Member
Message 45 of 113

Jump to solution

Agreed. I'm leaving everything alone. Forgetting this mess, and HOPING you guys get McAfee to start doing this better --- I mean, there are changes that could help everyone.

I am going to change my owner feedback and not mention the problems, now that they are gone -- thanks for the heads up. I just got like 12 hours of sleep, and am just happy to not be in a rage against the machine ;p. About 9/10 of my users are the techie types, so they actually understand more than the 'Average Joe' would. Still, as I appeal to a broader base, you are exactly right that people will misinterpret statements that made more sense while all this confusion was going on.

Thank you to the following:

+ pharmalert - sorry to cause you troubles, and thanks for helping

+ Hayton - always helpful it seems

+ Ex_Brit - because you helped me last time

+ AlphaCent - because you correctly suggested I tone it down, now that the problems are gone

Now, BACK TO WORK.. people are waiting on me, literally

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/26/11 11:43:29 AM GMT-05:00
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 46 of 113

Jump to solution

All the best and good luck. 😉

jcollake
Former Member
Message 47 of 113

Jump to solution

My site feedback comments have been toned down, removed references to these mistakes -- just to let mostly pharmalert know . I also toned down a blog posting. I still am hopeful SiteAdvisor enacts changes and/or hires more employees (hopefully here in the States, as we could use jobs).

jcollake
Former Member
Message 48 of 113

Jump to solution

My GOD!!!! They did it a THIRD TIME!!! It was only a month ago we went through this. I had removed my criticisms, largely... but apparently I should have kept them all up. This is nuts. Someone in that company has it out for me. I run the most legitimate company a person could freaking run!!

ALL GREEN DOWNLOADS

ALL GREEN LINKS
NO COMMENTS

= RED SITE ?!?!? -- TWICE NOW IN A MONTH!!!

See: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/prolasso.com

I am so angry and hurt I can't even see. I mean, I build a business for a decade with hard work and McAfee SiteAdvisor comes in and destroys it, without even giving a cause? And with their install base, reported to be 350 million+ (more now that they include McAfee with SUN Java updates probably), they literally can kill whomever they want.

I know it is hard for some people to understand.. and I realize SOMEONE must be on one hell of a power trip, but you are messing with my family's life. This HAS to be intentional, you don't make the same UNEXPLAINED mistake TWICE in a month, in my opinion.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 2/25/11 3:41:00 PM GMT-05:00
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 49 of 113

Jump to solution

Already answered you HERE.  I see a manager was in on that thread so hopefully he will chip in there.

jcollake
Former Member
Message 50 of 113

Jump to solution

Yes, I had posted in the wrong thread. PLEASE also check BITSUM.COM, as it suddenly went ??? ... I mean, let it get scanned all day, but I don't want to see it RED for NO REASON GIVEN.

Thank you for helping. It is a good thing I keep an eye on this, though I don't know how long it has happened.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community