Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 1 of 38

Why does scheduled scanning no longer work

Jump to solution

I just yesterday reinstalled mcafee on a W10 machine (I uninstalled it a month or two ago due to some high cpu usage issue with process ClientAnalytics - for which there was no fix in the support forums).  When I was done I set up scheduled scanning for Sunday and Thursday at 12:20 A.M.  This morning I saw that my next scheduled scan was for 4/2 at 12:20 AM.  Now when I just looked in the security report there was nothing scheduled!  It does say that my last scan type was a scheduled scan but there is nothing showing as far as my next scheduled scan.  You can click 'Schedule and Run Scans' on the main menu but when you get to the next screen there is no longer even the option to set up a scheduled scan.  I don't know what happened to it.  McAfee seems to have updated itself and removed the schedule option.  It also says it scanned 9400 files on a machine that has hundreds of thousands of files.

I ran into this problem on my W7 machine months ago.  Scheduled scans weren't being run.  I called tech support chat and they had me reinstall - a nuisance I shouldn't have had to go through - and that still didn't get the scheduled scan option.  I was then told that scans are now being done in the background so the 'schedule' option was removed. I was very skeptical of this.  Yesterday when I opened mcafee to look at something I got a message that my machine hasn't been scanned in over a month!!!  So this background scan stuff sounds like it was ** and the tech support I received wasn't worth a ****.

I also want to note that when I do a manual scan it scans a small fraction of the files that it used to.  Back when scheduled scan worked I would see that it scanned 500,000 files.  The last scan says it scanned 85000 files.  I don't feel very comfortable about this.

I have a 3 year - 5 license subscription and I can't say I am happy with mcafee lately.  I'm ready to eat the last 230 days and find something that works.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 8 of 38

Re: Why does scheduled scanning no longer work

Jump to solution

yes. this is answered regarding where to find it to set it.

Now I have to see that it actually scans - it is scheduled on a W10 machine for Sun @ 12:20 A.M. - so tomorrow morning I will see if it scanned.

View solution in original post

37 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 38

Jump to solution

May I ask what Version /Build you are running? There is a New Version being throttled out as we speak 15.1r2, which has the next Generation Scanning Engine. In this build the Scheduled scan (has been) added back. Albeit being a *Quick Scan*, you can of course run a *Full Scan* manually.

To schedule your scan  Open your McAfee Security Center/Navigation/Scheduled Scan/expand and set scan.

While the New Version and Build scans less files, and performance has been enhanced. You can be self-assured that your Protection has not been effected.McAfee also has a *Pledge*

New Scanning Engine   new LAM ( Lightweight anyimalware) install FAQs

See Pledge

https://community.mcafee.com/message/432478#432478

Also the Client Analytics issue (has) been resolved.

Note:  The FAQ above is basically is for the 15.0R0 Version.The FAQ for the 15.1r2 is forthcoming.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 38

Jump to solution

Capture.PNG

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 4 of 38

Jump to solution

I am running Total Protection - V15.1 R2 on W7

I am running Total Protection - V14.0 R13 on W10 (Installed yesterday)

I see that in navigation/scheduled scan there is the option to schedule.  Previously, when you clicked on 'Schedule and run scans' you got a third choice on the screen below - to schedule a scan - on W10 it was there yesterday morning and not there yesterday evening.  In any event as long as it can be reached from navigation I'm fine with that.

lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 5 of 38

Jump to solution

I do notice that when you go into security report you don't see the date of the next scheduled scan.  That used to be there.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 38

Jump to solution

I agree that it was in that location the prior version. Since you know how to set the scheduled scan,can we consider this answered?

All the Best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 38

Jump to solution

I have brought it up as a Topic of Discussion on our Conference Call Monday. Requesting that *Scheduled Scan* be placed back in the original area as before also.

1. MarkR  Scheduled Scan difficult for users to locate CD

Why does scheduled scanning no longer work

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
lnerenbu
Contributor III
Message 8 of 38

Jump to solution

yes. this is answered regarding where to find it to set it.

Now I have to see that it actually scans - it is scheduled on a W10 machine for Sun @ 12:20 A.M. - so tomorrow morning I will see if it scanned.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 38

Jump to solution

Thank you   If it indeed does so, kindly mark this thread appropiately as 'Correctly Answered', so other individuals will know where to go to set a scan.

Hope this helped..

All the best

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 38

Jump to solution

Also I might add as you can see in my prior *Screenshot*. I had a Scheduled scan set to run this morning @ 4;00am, and every first Saturday of the first of the month. Unfortunately it did not? So please apprise us if yours does.

I have marked my solution to the problem of not knowing where to (Set) as *Helpful*, and unmarked it as 'Correct Answer"

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community