Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Old-hammer
Contributor
Message 31 of 47

Re: Mcafee Real Time Scanning not allowing Excel & Word files to open

Jump to solution

Here is what I find confusing.  On my dell desktop running McAfee Total Protection 16.0.r37 Security Center build 19.7.126 I can't open 2010 Microsoft Excel files without turning Real-time scanning off.   But on my laptop I'm running the same Windows 10, Excel and McAfee releases and don't have any problems opening Excel files.

My wife asks daily if there is any progress since she uses Excel regularly.  Why would this be true?

FWM
Contributor
Message 32 of 47

Jump to solution

I had issues with real-time scanning preventing Office 2010 files from opening starting since sometime in August. Turning off real-time scanning solved the problem but is not practical/convenient.

I checked many times before and again today.....I have latest Mcafee updates and problem still exists.

Today reinstalled Mcafee and problem is now solved, with real-time scanning on. 27Sep2021

PatrickM
Contributor II
Message 33 of 47

Jump to solution
I am having the same problem (Posted info below separately).  

IT'S BEEN OVER A MONTH SINCE OTHER CUSTOMERS REPORTED THIS PROBLEM-  I followed the advice of McAfee tech support this morning - reinstalled, and the problem persists.  I'm using a vanilla Dell XPS and Google Drive - nothing fancy.   The problem only recently arose.   THIS INTERRUPTS MY WORK IN A MAJOR WAY.   THERE ARE PLENTY OF ALTERNATIVES TO MCAFEE - and I've just uninstalled moved to Bitdefender (a 5 minute fix).  Once again, I can open excel files on Drive.   GOODBYE McAfee.

Unable to open excel files on google drive (G-Drive)

About 10 business days ago, a McAfee technical support representative installed a new version of LiveSafe on my laptop (for reasons I'll skip here).   Afterwards, I was no longer able open Excel files on Google Drive.  I have not seen this specific problem reported elsewhere, which is surprising given I have a generic Dell XPS laptop running Windows 10.

Additional information follows:

1. can open excel files on local drive
  2. can open excel files on dropbox
  3. cannot open excel files on Google Drive. 
  4. Prior to the aforementioned re-install of McAfee, I had been accessing these same files for the past 12 months.  It's a corporate drive and is secure. 
  5. When I move an excel file from G-Drive to my local disk,
  6. I am currently getting around the problem by:
    1. Moving the excel file from G-drive to my local drive
    2. Turning off the Anti-Virus module within LiveSafe. 
  7. The error message I receive when attempting to open the files reads, "Excel (or Word) cannot open the file  because the file format or file extension is not valid."
  8. After receiving the error message, McAfee directs me to the following page: https://service.mcafee.com/?articleId=TS102828&page=shell&shell=article-view 
  9. To REPEAT - My files are not corrupt nor a threat.  All I need to do is move them off of Google Drive and back on to my local drive.
  10. This same problem affects the following file types:
    1. PDF
    2. PPT
  11. This problem does not affect MS Word files

Remarkably, elsewhere on this forum (link below), another customer reported that they needed to turn off McAfee to download Execl files.  The problem is described slightly different than I've describe it above, but it's the same problem (same error message).  What makes me angry is that the customer came back after FOUR WEEKS and asked for an update.  The McAfee moderator (Bharanidharan ) never followed up on his inquiry.  

Link: https://forums.mcafee.com/t5/Total-Protection/Real-Time-Scanning-has-to-be-turned-off-in-order-to-do...

Previously Bharanidharan wrote, "This a known issue and our engineering team is working on a fix for this. We will update you as soon as we receive any information from them."

Please provide a fix to this near term, or I iwlll be uninstalling LiveSafe and looking for a refund.  My use case is extremely common (i.e. opening up excel files on Drive).  There's absolutely no excuse for this kind of bug existing for any length of time.  

Old-hammer
Contributor
Message 34 of 47

Jump to solution

I'll be out of town for a couple days.  But I will try re-installing McAfee on my return and report result.

harold40291
Contributor II
Message 35 of 47

Jump to solution

Good News

My Mcafee processed an update yesterday and when I closed Word and Excel 2016 and reopened them I was able to open files with no issue.

I also rebooted the computer and started Word and Excel 2016 and was able to open files with no lockup.

p8er
Contributor III
Message 36 of 47

Jump to solution

Nice!

Didn't work for Office 2013 though 😞

harold40291
Contributor II
Message 37 of 47

Jump to solution

Did the McAfee Package you have installed process an update yesterday or today because yesterday was when mine processed an fixed the issue.
I am not sure how they roll out updates as I am running McAfee Total Protection. My Microsoft software is Office Standard 2016. Perhaps they simply have a little more work to to do on your version Office 2013.

Good Luck.

p8er
Contributor III
Message 38 of 47

Jump to solution

After seeing your previous message, I made my McAfee product (Total Protection with Safe Connect) check for updates, and it wanted to shut itself down temporarily while it installed them, so I would say 'yes' to your question.

My Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 had an update as well, a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, neither update fixed the issue. But who knows, like you say, maybe McAfee will get to my version of Office later.

Peacekeeper
Message 39 of 47

Jump to solution

What version of both Mcafee and Virusscan? So others can check

harold40291
Contributor II
Message 40 of 47

Jump to solution

McAfee Total Protection 16.0 R37

VirusScan updated 8/28/21  Build 25.0.134

This build fixed my Office Standard 2016

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community