Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
microberry
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Security Centre is not responding when I try to uninstall

Hello there

I am trying to uninstall mcafee security centre from my windows xp pc. But, for some reason unknown to me, when I try to uninstall it through the control panel, all that comes up is a non-responding white square on the moniter that is presumably the application window trying to run, but failing. Even when I just try to open up the security centre, the same thing happens; a fully white square that is the non-responding window of the application. It says on the task manager that the mcafee security centre is running, but I have no way to interact with it, and when I close the mcafee security centre through the task manager, it closes without any fuss, and the blank white square goes away too. So, what can I do to uninstall mcafee security centre, seeing as it is not responding to anything?

Your help is very much appreciated

5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Security Centre is not responding when I try to uninstall

Not running IE10 beta by chance? Got images disabled in IE can also cause issues.

I assume you have IE installed?

If add/remove fails run MCPR from here

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

microberry
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Do you mean Internet Explorer? If so, then no, I am not running Internet Explorer 10 beta, but I do have Internet Explorer 8.0.6 installed, and images are enabled. I don't actually use Internet Explorer though (even though it is still installed), but I use Firefox.

Regarding the link you gave, I had seen it before but I did not read it properly 'till now... So by the looks of it, I cannot run MCPR straight away, but I have to deactivate my mcafee account. Is this correct? And so will MCPR remove the security center without needing to uninstall it through the control panel?

Thankyou for your help

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 6

Yes if you deactivate your account you can run MCPR straight. Not doing the add/remove path first and say running MCPR will mess up your account till it syncs in a couple of days. Deactivating the better way.

microberry
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Okay, so I have logged in for what seems to be the first time. Following the guide for deactivating a machine on the link you gave, there should be a "My Protection Products" section. There is a "My Products" section, but under it it only lists one expired subscription, on one license. I cannot find any option to deactivate my subscription or license. So how do I end my subsciption/license? Or is it just okay then to run MCPR because the subscription is expired? The version of McAfee that was installed was only a trial, and I do not really plan on using any other McAfee products anyway, so I am not too bothered about my McAfee account.

Thankyou for the help

Message was edited by: microberry on 31/12/11 12:12:45 AM
Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 6

Yes run MCPR and enjoy your new product after a reboot.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community