Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nellienobody
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Can't turn off Windows Firewall warning after installing 11.0.654

Jump to solution

I just installed 11.0.654 from the McAfee Website (somehow missed the automatic distribution). This was to fix the annoying desktop icon problem. Now I have an even more annoying problem, a red "Your computer is at risk!" warning that Windows Firewall is off, even though I selected "Don't show an alert when Firewall is off".

Why should I turn on a resource-hogger like Windows Firewall when my home network has a router with a hardware firewall?

My system:

Windows 7

McAfee SecurityCenter 11.0.654

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 6

Re: Can't turn off Windows Firewall warning after installing 11.0.654

Jump to solution

Bye will pass on NAV has teh option but Development against afdding this option I feel.

My feel on the issue. locking thread

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

This an old complaint Mcafee if seems is looking for a software firewall.

See.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/26038?start=0&tstart=0

Post 80 and92 gives Mcafee answer.

the thought is install Mcafee firewall and disable it .They say it will not have an overhead.

nellienobody
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

REEEALLY?!? That's an "answer"?!?

The warning did not appear at all in the previous version and the desktop icon did not appear in the version before that.

The current version appears to have fixed the desktop icon bug -- at least for me, if not for everyone. But it unfixed the warning bug.

Now the solution is to install a piece of software that I don't want and turn it off?!? Who's to say that won't cause other problems?!? And what will be the "solution" to those problems?!?

Given all the teeth-gnashing in the thread that you linked above, going all the way back to 2010, it sounds like McAfee has little interest or motivation to fix this issue. It would rather inconvenience a few customers than have a product that would work for everyone.

Given all the above plus the following, I'm going to replace SecurityCenter with a non-McAfee product.

• I did not buy SecurityCenter; It came with my Dell laptop.
  • My subscription will expire soon.
  • I have never really liked McAfee products anyway, having had to contend with them on various work computers.

Now all I need to figure out is which product to buy. Fabulous marketing, y'all...

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Ok will recheck with the techs on our call Monday.I would have not thought 654 build would have changed anything wrt the firewall they were not delving into it.

So what did you choose to not get the popup did it automatically not show a warning or did you select some option? last I heard they were looking into placing an option In general settings.

Will also ask the techs Monday mod call

nellienobody
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

I solved the problem! I bought good ol' Norton Antivirus! Gives me just what I need and no more!

Why, oh why, did I leave you, NAV? Oh, yeah, McAfee came with my laptop and free seemed good until these issues sprang up out of nowhere. What unpleasant reminders of why I never liked McAfee when dealing with it in various work settings. NAV is beeyootiful. Does a fabulous job of mapping my home network.

So, basically, I don't care if McAfee fixes these issues or not. I'm outta here...

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Bye will pass on NAV has teh option but Development against afdding this option I feel.

My feel on the issue. locking thread

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community