Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xlcatloveress
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

windows 8: mcafee icon keeps moving around on desktop

Hi,

as of a couple of days ago, I own a brandspanking new laptop (acer) with windows 8, mcafee (livesafe internet security) pre-installed and pre-paid until the end of the month at which time I will have to decide to renew (or not) the subscription. I have customized the look of my start screen, added apps, set my own preferences etc. etc. -- only one thing is highly irritating, and that is the placement of the mcafee icon on my desktop. Along with my other security programs (such as spybot), I have placed the icon for the mcafee program in the bottom right-hand corner -- except that (other than the rest of the icons) mcafee's does not stay where I put it. It randomly (and no, that doesn't only happen after, say, I changed screen resolution or opened any particular programs or did any specific 'stuff' with my laptop!) moves to the left side of the screen, somewhere near the top, 'mingling' with my firefox and office icon WHERE I DON'T WANT IT! Nothing I can think of and have tried helps. No aligning by grid, no changing the settings, nothing. So .. help please?

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Re: windows 8: mcafee icon keeps moving around on desktop

This is something that only Technical Support can deal with so I suggest opening a case with them.  It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Although I do have Windows 8.1 and McAfee installed on it I can't reproduce what you are mentioning as I allow the regular Start Menu to act in its default manner and in any case, do everything from the desktop which is almost devoid of icons anyway.

I avoid using the Metro interface wherever possible.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

(xicatloverless said)

"Along with my other security programs (such as spybot) "

By saying your (Other) Security Programs, especially "Spybot Search and Destroy", you have the (Tea Timer) disabled I assume? Even then , having it installed has been known to conflict with McAfee.

Which could in itself cause undesirable effects. Could you please indicate, any types of Security Applications you have running besides McAfee? For running (2) RTS can conflict with each other,and leave your system open to infections/undesirable behavior. I am not stipulating this is the cause of your icon repositioning itself.

However, it could be part of it.

I would still contact Technical Support as Ex_Brit suggested, as they know best.

Wishing you all the very best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/4/14 5:22:31 PM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 12

This moving icon comes and goes depending on version from what i have seen placing it in a folder on the desktop and placing the folder where you want it should work.  Checking this on My install. OHK om 12.8.958 build putting it in a folder works.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/06/14 3:24:21 PM
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 12

Hi xlcatloveress,

That seems odd when McAfee changes its location on the Desktop everytime you start your PC. From my understanding the icon on the Desktop shouldn't change unless / until you refresh the icons or Sort them in an order like A to Z etc,.

It will be more helpful if you could post the screenshot of chnages that you are seeing..!

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 12

Selvan been doing this in retail version and beta for ages. Reported it but not a big issue I assume. Placing in in a folder does work. Will make this an agenda item for our next moderator.call

If i grab the Mcafee total access icon and move it say to teh top right desktop doing an update will reset it to the left side. Try it. This was on 12.6.958 consumer version windows 7 64bit tested last night.

xlcatloveress
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

Ex_Brit wrote:

This is something that only Technical Support can deal with so I suggest opening a case with them.  It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Although I do have Windows 8.1 and McAfee installed on it I can't reproduce what you are mentioning as I allow the regular Start Menu to act in its default manner and in any case, do everything from the desktop which is almost devoid of icons anyway.

I avoid using the Metro interface wherever possible.

Hi,

I allow the regular Start menu to act in its default manner as well .. at least I think so? At least I don't think I've changed anything within the start menu folder *shrugs*

Also, the metro interface? Is that the screen that offers the little app buttons and looks almost like a disorganized smartphone screen? I don't work with that one either -- but on my desktop, which is NOT fully devoid of icons (though I prefer it uncluttered and only have the ones I use the most), that is where the problem is occuring.

Anyway, I'll try the suggestions made here by others, then do what you suggested, go bug Techical Support. Thank you

xlcatloveress
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

catdaddy wrote:

(xicatloverless said)

"Along with my other security programs (such as spybot) "

By saying your (Other) Security Programs, especially "Spybot Search and Destroy", you have the (Tea Timer) disabled I assume? Even then , having it installed has been known to conflict with McAfee.

Which could in itself cause undesirable effects. Could you please indicate, any types of Security Applications you have running besides McAfee? For running (2) RTS can conflict with each other,and leave your system open to infections/undesirable behavior. I am not stipulating this is the cause of your icon repositioning itself.

However, it could be part of it.

I would still contact Technical Support as Ex_Brit suggested, as they know best.

Wishing you all the very best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/4/14 5:22:31 PM EDT

I've checked for conflicts and turned off the features that were reported as conflicting. I run AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy as well as AVG because I do not actually like using mcafee (only have it up and running because it came fully preinstalled *shrugs*).

xlcatloveress
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Peacekeeper wrote:

This moving icon comes and goes depending on version from what i have seen placing it in a folder on the desktop and placing the folder where you want it should work.  Checking this on My install. OHK om 12.8.958 build putting it in a folder works.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/06/14 3:24:21 PM

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions, I will try it as I find it rather annoying to have an icon shift at random to a predetermined spot on my desktop.

silky

xlcatloveress
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Chinthanai Selvan P wrote:

Hi xlcatloveress,

That seems odd when McAfee changes its location on the Desktop everytime you start your PC. From my understanding the icon on the Desktop shouldn't change unless / until you refresh the icons or Sort them in an order like A to Z etc,.

It will be more helpful if you could post the screenshot of chnages that you are seeing..!

Hi,

it's not only after I start up my PC. Sometimes, it does it at random while I'm reading my email. Other times, when I'd expect a little icon shuffle (like after changing screen resolution), it does NOT shift around my screen. Which makes it plain weird. Anyway, I've got screenshots but don't exactly know how to attach or post them here so I guess I can't show you, only tell: the mcafee icon at random intervals switches from the right hand bottom corner to the left hand nearly up top corner for no discernable reason.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community