Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casondave
Contributor II
Message 1 of 13

what a pain - mcafee and windows remote

Hi,

OMG it sucks, it so sucks …….. but it’s free and came from my provider so I’m stuck with it!

McAfee Security Centre – Ver 16.0  Build #  16.0.R18

I have a PC that PC runs Windows 7 and it does  it quite well.

On that PC it has a feature called Remote Desktop Assistance.  It’s set under properties of the PC and it set like:  The radio button is checked and the level is the less secure one where all versions are allowed. (yes it works fine)   I did however change the default TCP port.  

However if I turn on the bloody McAfee Firewall it blocks it very well … but I don’t want it too!!!

So …. open the console, go to PC Security and then open Firewall, then go down to: Internet Connection for Programs.

In there, scroll thru all 678 bits of crap in their from McAfee itself ( guess how impressed we are with that ?) and eventually find a link called:  Windows Remote Assistance   and then hit edit. 

Attachment = mcafee1

( and because we can’t make the fuggen window bigger )   we have to scroll down to the settings:  Edit Program     

It says:  C:\windows\system32\msra.exe                Attachment = mcafee2

Then go down more and its says:

Open to all devices and that Net Guard thing is off !!         Attachment = mcafee3

So there are the screen caps and what I see, so where have a screwed up folks?

Cheers’  Dave

12 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 13

Re: what a pain - mcafee and windows remote

Probably a mod will help more but have you set the changed port in ports and system services in the firewall options for the remote assistance ?

casondave
Contributor II
Message 3 of 13

Hi PeaceKeeper,

Well since I've never heard of that ..... I'm gonna say no !!

Where do I find that option ?  If you mean the "open to all devices" option and that button that lets you select if you have that net guard thing on then that's all I know ........

Cheers'
Dave

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 13

Ok not on PC at this time but option is two choices below the connection option you are talking about above.  

casondave
Contributor II
Message 5 of 13

No,

It's virtually impossible to do it this way ...... I put up (like in my original post) two screen caps of what I see when I open the firewall.

Maybe if you get a chance sometime, have a glance at them and maybe it will help, when you see what I see, but anyway I appreciate the help tonight anyway !!

Cheers'  Dave

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 13

I meant this area

Clipboard.jpg

I never use this feature so unfamiliar with the ins and outs. If I cannot find more on it I will flag a mod to popin if he has not already

What product have you got my livesafe is at version R24

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 13

This describes what I was saying

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Consumer-General-Discussions/Firewall-blocking-RDP-from-outside/td-p...

I assume if you disabled the firewall it works? Does it work with the original Port number that you changed?

casondave
Contributor II
Message 8 of 13

Hey !

Nope, no joy there and I think I see why  ......

I have a program called McAfee Security Center and you're showing me stuff from the product called McAfee Anti-Virus Plus ......

I don't have that product and then I don't have a section called: "Ports and System Services" that's why I can't find it.   

Cheers'  Dave

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 13

McAfee security center is the name of the Interface. What is shown at the top left of the interface it should say Mcafee and a product name.

Your version is R18 which is 6 versions behind though a mod might answer if your product has different version but I doubt it.

I assume you updated the program?

Should say version 16

Release name 16.0.R24

Components

Mcafee Security center ( note this is a component of whatever product you have not the product.)

Affid no says who you bought the program from or what McAfee partner installed it.. What is your affid no?

Last update

version 18.4

In virusscan component what is the last update date?

>>>..All that said the firewall section should have a ports area It has had for the past 10 years.

Clipboard.jpg

So you haven't this option in the firewall area?

If not I wonder if Your provider has that option removed. Some partners ask for minor options or changes I think but a mod will answer that better so best to pass this up the line

good luck

@Madhan 

@muthu_ganesh 

Can one of you read through this issue and comment please

casondave
Contributor II
Message 10 of 13

Hi,

So I ran the updates and it said it finished but nothing changed, the version is the same.

I should note that this version I have is free -  I get it from my provider and it has their logo on the front of the app (see the pic) so maybe some stuff is turned off?

Cheers'  Dave

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community