cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poodles5
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

quick clean has registry cleaner- use it or not

I noticed in the new total protection package, in pc optimization, you give us a choice to clean registry. In default it is unchecked. Should I run it or not? so leary of  registry cleaners, dell has one on my laptop called dell pc tuneup- it tells me I have 99 errors in registry, I have not run it, in fact I am thinking of taking program out. What should I do about this, your new program is running fine for me, scans on time almost 90%, no shut down errors as yet- I am running xp prof, service pack 3, 2gig of memory.I am really on the fence with the dell product, it has so many features its confusing. In the past, I still own registry cleaner, uninstalled and pc pitstop optimizer, also uninstalled. I did not want them interfering with your new program, so can you advise me as to this registry issue that they say I have. 99 problems. Thank you, I have been in the group since 2005-

Message was edited by: poodles5 on 8/23/10 3:12:57 PM CDT
3 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: quick clean has registry cleaner- use it or not

Hello  poodles5,

McAfee QuickClean allows you several options for clearing temporary, secure, or obsolete information from your computer. It also contains computer management tools that can improve the speed and performance of your computer. Moreover, we do not recommend using any othersecurity software or registry cleaners in the computer.

McAfee QuickClean has several cleaning tools available such as ;

• Recycle Bin Cleaner - Deletes items in your Recycle Bin.
  • Temporary Files Cleaner - Deletes all files in your temporary directory.
  • Shortcut Cleaner - Deletes shortcuts to folders or programs which no longer exist.
  • Lost File Fragment Cleaner - Deletes file fragments no longer associated with a program.
  • Registry Cleaner - Deletes registry keys no longer associated with a program.
  • Cache Cleaner - Deletes your web browser cache.
  • Cookie Cleaner - Deletes saved cookies.
  • Browser History Cleaner - Clears the list of web sites you have recently visited.
  • Outlook Express E-mail Cleaner (sent items) - Deletes the contents of the Outlook Express Sent Items folder.
  • Outlook Express E-mail Cleaner (deleted items) - Deletes the contents of the Outlook Express Deleted Items folder.
  • Outlook E-mail Cleaner (sent items) - Deletes the contents of the Outlook Sent Items folder.
  • Outlook E-mail Cleaner (deleted items) - Deletes the contents of the Outlook Deleted Items folder.
  • Recently Used Cleaner* - Clears the lists of recently accessed documents.
       *Click Properties to clear the list of recently accessed files for available applications.
  • ActiveX Cleaner - Deletes downloaded ActiveX installers.
  • System Restore Point Cleaner - Clears old system restore points.

Please let us know if we still need any information on the same

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

poodles5
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thank you, I  found everything but the Properties listed, to clear active x and old system restore points,it is not listed in the  pc optomization panel, I have looked all over for those 2 items- nothing that I can identify as properties in this section- could this be missing in my upgrade? I am up to date I think-10.5.195-security center-just go update for virus scan-I will uninstall dell pc tune up if you think it will conflict with the new version. so far it has not , however I would not like any problems, I have run this product for years and have been very satisfied.please tell me where to look for properties- thanks

viva1
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

I've stopped using quick clean since upgrading to the new version 10 Internet Security Center, the reason being that the shred type option in quick clean that was available in previous versions is not available and I like to x7 comprehensively shred all my files in one hit.  Mcafee have made quick clean a less secure option and I have recovered stuff quite easily as Quickclean only does a windows deletion, well it did the last time I used it.  Come on guys at Mcafee surely it couldn't be that much of a problem to put back the shred option in Quickclean it was so handy.

Thanks

Message was edited by: viva1 on 25/08/10 09:28:49 CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community