Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pupun
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

not able to open mcafee security center

Hi ,

recently I downloaded the MSC from at&t site. it created a icon in the desktop.when i click the desktop icon it open the small menu bar and the automatically that menu bar disappear. I am not able to scan my laptop because of this. could you please help me....

Thanks
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

RE: not able to open mcafee security center

What is your operating system and service pack, is it 32 or 64 bit (x86 or x64), what version of Internet Explorer do you have installed, whether or not you use it?

We need a lot more details.

We also need to know what protection software of any type you had and still have installed at this moment.

In case this is malware induced try running the free versions of both these tools and let them clean everything they find:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
pupun
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

not able to open mcafee security center

I checked the below is the details

Window XP media center edition
version 2002
Service pack 2

Not sure about 32 bit or 64 bit

I have malwarebyte's software , spybot , SpywareBlaster , SUPERAntiSpyware.

I ran the malwarebyte and it didn't catch any.

Thanks
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

RE: not able to open mcafee security center

You didn't check what version of Internet Explorer you are using. Open it (Start/All Programs/Internet Explorer) and go to Help/About.

If it is IE6 got to Tools/Internet Options/Security and set all zones to default then click Apply and OK. Go to the Content tab and make sure Content Advisor is off. Go to the Advanced tab and make that default, Apply and OK again.

If it's IE7 or IE8 go to the Advanced tab and click Reset, Apply and OK. Close and reopen IE. Go to Tools/manage Add-ons and re-enable them all.

Then try a complete cleanup and reinstall.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site or your ISP.
Dennis_Allen
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

HI..

Please try running IEREGFIX.BAT, then restart your PC after that..

If you will have the same problems, then follow Ex_Brit's instructions to uninstall/reinstall mcafee..thanks..
pupun
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the Help

Hi Ex_Brit/Dennis,

I did the steps Dennis has mentioned but it didn't work and then I tried what ex_Brit suggested and it worked. Thanks Ex_Brit and Dennis. I forgot to mention in the earlier mail that I have IE6 but I use Google Chrome. The problem I have now is the Chrome is running little slow. When first time I open chrome the home page is loading little late. Earlier it was real fast. Not sure because of the McAfee reloading it happened or somethingelse has happened.

Thanks
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

RE: Thanks for the Help

Glad you are OK now. Not sure about Chrome slowness, sorry. Is it OK to mark this a ssolved?
pupun
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Thanks

Yes we can mark this as solved. I am not sure how to do that. i couldn't find any icon. If you can let me know , I can do that.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

RE: Thanks

I do that. 🙂

Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community