Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jodes71
Contributor
Message 1 of 1

intruders - please help ...

HI,

I have McAfee total protection - i've just gone from the old version to the new version ..

Now, I need someone to speak to me in lay man terms here - I've done a lot of reading and have NO flippin' idea what everyone is talking about .. lol .. sorry ..

OK so here's what's been happening - remember in lay man's terms please

1.  I've been getting notification of "intruders"

2.  when i go into manage my network - there is my computer (named), mum's computer (named but says untrusted? with !) and a heap of other ones with just IP numbers

3.  I have put the IP numbers into the address bar and it says sorry, can't find

4.  We have a netgear wireless modem - with 3 laptops (all wireless) and 1 apple mac (via ethernet cable)

5.  Last night we hit 20GB with optus ! .. something we've never done - so i went looking and our downloads for March are 17,980MB - i checked againist the past 6 months and the most we've used is 10,500MB

So intruders - are they people outside in the community who are able to log into our modem ?

I rang netgear this morning and have changed the passphrase etc and also something else wpk ? can't remember and can't turn the modem on cause we've already gone over by $ 40 in excess data !

I am going to name all the laptops so i can 'trust' them on the network - is that right ? that i need to trust them ? .. with the intruders do i block them ? untrust them ? .. i'm out of my league here and have no idea .. as i said i can't turn the modem on - cause the a-holes who are using our net will keep going - it's been off since last night ..

anyway any help, advice or suggestions that you have would be great - cause as i said i have no flippin' idea !

many thanks in advance ..

jodes71

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community