Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gaialove
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

external drive won't work

Hello,
Since I've installed McAfee, my tekram external hard drive doesn't work. It seems to be on, but my computer does not recognize it and I know it is b/c of McAfee. I used it just prior to installing McAfee, to get a bunch of pictures of my internal drive.

Thanks,
10 Replies
Jubo
Contributor III
Message 2 of 11

RE: external drive won't work

Could you also tell us exactly which version of McAfee you have installed? You post here in the SecurityCenter 9.0 - 2009 forum, but this version is only available in some part(s) of the world.

If you have an icon near the PC clock like:

• , then launch the Security Center:

Click on the "View Details" link and in the next window you see all the McAfee programs installed. Clicking on each of them will give you the exact version numbers. Include the version # of the VirusScan Scan Engine and DAT file.
Also, what version of Windows is installed?

• Windows XP: Go to Start > right click My Computer > click on Properties and on the General tab you'll find all the information, incl. any installed Service Packs.
  • Windows Vista: Open Welcome Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Welcome Center.
  • Check if your version of Windows is up-to-date at: Windows Update. Use the "Custom" button. This way you also get the "Optional" updates as well as the "Critical" updates/patches.
When you completely uinstall the McAfee software is the external hard drive accessable again? Before you installed McAfee software what antivirus/antispyware or security software did you have previously installed? What did you do with that? Uninstalled first?
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Visit the website of the Hard drive vendor and update the drivers for it if it uses a non-standard one.
see if that helps
gaialove
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Hi Jubo,
Thanks for the reply. In the 'about' link on my sceurity center it tells me I have security center 9.0, virus scan 13.0, personal firewall 10, site advisor 2.8, anti scam 10, parental control 11, easy network 3 and back and restore 3. I didn't see anything that mentioned a 'dat'. I have windows xp, 2002, service pack 1.

I uninstalled spybot before installing Mcafee.

I didn't try uninstalling mcafee - I did disable the firewall, but that did make a difference.

I will uninstall mcafee and see if that works. If it does, then what do I do? I need Mcafee and my external to both work.

Thanks!
Babs
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 11

what is the name of the software that controls the HDD?
gaialove
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

unfortunately I don't know what a hdd is. I did uninstall McAfee and my external drive worked fine.

I have a tekram external storage device, but don;t know what drivers it needs...I can't find the disk that came with it.

Thanks for your reply,
Barbara
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Barbara,

HDD is computerese for hard drive. He means what is the name of the software controlling your external hard drive?

You may need to update the drivers or software for the Tekram drive. Their website is here: http://www.tekram.com/

One thing that most definitely needs updating is your Windows XP as it is obsolete and no longer supported by Microsoft, hence it is unsafe, because it is missing hundreds of security updates, not to mention other critical & non-critical updates.

There is help with installing SP3 here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807

SP3 contains all updates right from XP's inception until approximately April 2008.

After that use the Custom option to obtain updates for all components via Microsoft Update: http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
gaialove
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for your reply. I managed to find the correct driver, but it wasn't on tekram's site.

thanks again!
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

So is it OK now?
gaialove
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

yup, I tried it and it worked. I didn't update to sp3 - I only found the driver.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community