cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

does anyone know(recent events)

Can anyone tell me why under veiw recent events,i can't trace any of the ip from the list?I origanally could.Now it just keeps pinging.Also under network manger it says this computer is connected to a network that is not trusted.I have only 1 computer.Can i leave it the way it is or is it recommended to trust the network?Finally under system gaurds should the winsock layered serv. providers,shared task scheduler context menu handelers and win shell open commands all be disabled ? sorry for all the questions.There is no reset on these features and i am no computer whiz.

thanks

7 Replies
SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 2 of 8

Re: does anyone know(recent events)

newjack wrote:

"Also under network manger it says this computer is connected to a  network that is not trusted.I have only 1 computer.Can i leave it the  way it is or is it recommended to trust the network?"

If you have only 1 PC (i.e.: no router), or are merely sharing ISP access (via a router), then you need not trust the network.

"........... winsock layered serv. providers,shared task scheduler context menu  handelers and win shell open commands all be disabled ?"

Good question.  If you are running Windows 7, I would not be concerned.  Under Vista or XP, you might consider turning "on" the "Log Only" option, and see what shakes out.  There are some valid products and tools that alter the mentioned areas, so be prepared for more event log traffic.  If you have some suspicious behavior occurring, set these options to "Alert and Log", and you can stop the requestor from performing the changes.

"............ under veiw recent events,i can't trace any of the ip from the list?I  origanally could.Now it just keeps pinging."

Hmm ... I had not traced any events since theis past September (2009.09.02).  Now, the IP's that I had traced at that time (and every other one) hangs on "Pinging node 3 ............".  I would suspect that the Security Center (9.15.160) and Personal Firewall (10.15.106) updates of 2009.11.18 might be involved.  You are on to something there.

Any others experiencing this ?

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 3 of 8

(Apologies for replying to myself ..... ..... )

I enabled the Windows Firewall, and disabled the McAfee Personal Firewall.  The "pinging" problem persists. <sigh>

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the help.I ended up trusting the network before i could get back on to the forums,as i had another wierd incident today.I was`nt able to log on to forums with internet explorer8.It kept saying invalid password.I then downloaded firefox and the password now works.I still don`t know what`s up with that.as 2 people told me to reset IE8.That still did`nt solve the problem.I am also still trying to figure out tracer.Although i suspect you are probabley right about that.

newjack
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Any ideas guys.

user_102835
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Several other posts have reported problems with visual tracer.  I just tried mine again, no joy.  It still reports on the network view and registrant view but the map view continues to ping.  A few weeks ago it worked fine.

newjack
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the reply.It`s a long story but i was starting to wonder if anyone was getting my questions.Hopefully someone will know what`s goin on.I guess everyone has been puzzeled by the tracer log.On the brite side maybe if more people have this problem it will get fixed.I will not go to support because everything is always working fine.Not knocking them,i`m sure they are swamped.but i seem to get better help with you guys.

Message was edited by: newjack on 12/18/09 3:36:27 PM CST
newjack
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

With all of my recent problems,i found out my visual tracer is now working?LOL!!Anyone else with this past problem may also be fixed.Chuck i know you would want to try this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community