cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Windows XP Files replaced by unrecognised files after Security Centre Update - can't be restored

I have a 3-user Internet Security Suite. It was originally purchased in 2007 but is described as "versionless" so it is not really "version" 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010.

It is currently installed on only one computer with Windows XP Professional, SP3.

Following an update on 2 June 2011, which required a restart, I am now getting an error message from Windows - either on boot up or at some time later.

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD"

I did not buy my SP3 service pack as a CD from Microsoft to update from SP2 to SP3 but downloaded a large file from Microsoft. When I inserted this disc it stated that it was the wrong disc. However, I ran the file and after a long time of checking my system it did install just a few files (I did not watch to note which). I had to use the task manager (after about 30 minutes) to interrupt the cleaning up process which is what I had to do the first time I installed the SP3 pack.

After restarting, automatic updates provided a security update for Internet Explorer 8 but after that the error was still present and I am having to click appropriately to ignore this despite the warnings fromWindows, each time the error message appears.

It is so coincidental with the McAfee update that it very much looks as though this has something to do with it this since this error has not previously occurred.

Any ideas please?

Derek Shaw

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/06/11 5:16:47 EDT PM
13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: Windows XP Files replaced by unrecognised files after Security Centre Update - can't be restored

I have flagged this issue internally and hope for a Technician to come in here soon.

Meanwhile you may want to take a look at slipstreaming SP3 into your existing system disk, so you will always have a disk that can be used to repair the system.

Of course it would then need updating to the most current updates.

Similar procedures exist for Vista and Windows 7 too.

Check here: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/product-review/slipstreaming-windows-xp-with-service-pack-3-sp3

or here:  http://www.paulspoerry.com/2008/04/25/how-to-slipstream-windows-xp-sp3-create-a-windows-xp-disk-with...

They are very similar except they use different tools, all free.

Two caveats:  never interrupt a service pack installation and cleanup, ever.    That could be one reason why things aren't going as they should.   The same goes for any kind of Windows update really.

Always disable antivirus protection during a service pack installation, and any other process that may autorun during that period, even email.  Tutorial here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2007

other than that all I can suggest is reboot once more and if no improvement contact Technical Support Chat available via Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/06/11 5:17:08 EDT PM
emtjoe
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Re: Windows XP Files replaced by unrecognised files after Security Centre Update - can't be restored

Same problem here.  It's actually quite maddening.  Hopefully, you'll know something more early next week

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

I'm hoping someone for the Tech Support side will answer my flag, but I can't promise anything.  Meanwhile you could try contacting them via the link at the top of this page under Useful Links.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

I turn off my (Windows XP) screensaver when doing something where the computer can work for a long time unattended, such as a full virus scan. When I tried to reactivate the screensaver via the Display settings I found it hung and was difficult to get working again. I looked for .scr  screensaver files and found I had several copies of these. One set is in C:\i386 dated 4/8/2001 (presumably the ones fromwhen I bought the computer), another is in C:\Windows\System32 dated 14/4/2008 (these are probably the ones installed by the SP3 service pack). I am not sure which of these Windows uses when selected from the display settings but probably the latter. I also have other copies of the screensaver files in folders which suggest these should have been deleted in the SP3 cleaning up process which I had to abort.

Whenever I tried to activate the screensaver again or when I tried running this by double clicking a .scr file in any of the locations, the unrecognised files error would occur again at some time after this.

As I test I turned my screensaver off and did not get the unrecognised file error through several restarts (I had to go out several times and did not want to leave my computer on) and for almost 24 hours. The error message appeared again when Windows Defender did a scheduled daily scan. Just using the computer with the screensaver turned off seems to allow normal working otherwise.

Maybe this information will be of generally help and also assist in tracking down the underlying cause.

Derek

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 14

As I said best to open a case with Technical Support Online Chat linked via Useful Links at the top of this page - reason being no technicians have been seen on the board all weekend.

They can escalate the case as and when necessary.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/06/11 4:45:26 EDT PM
emtjoe
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

It doesn't happen all the time and whatever was changed does not seem to be effecting my computer or its performance.  It would be nice if Windows XP would not only warn you of the files being changed but tell you which ones they were.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 14

Well, if it occurs too often I would still have Tech Support take a look.  It's your choice of course.

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

<<Two caveats:  never interrupt a service pack installation and cleanup, ever.    That could be one reason why things aren't going as they should.   The same goes for any kind of Windows update really.>>

Just a comment about SP3. The first time I ran the SP3 update (when it was first available) I left the cleaning up process running for about 4 hours! I used the task mananger in desperaration in order to stop it and everything seemed to be OK. Searching on the internet I then found that this appeared to be a common problem and that many had this. Using the task manager to stop the process during cleanup was the ONLY way to exit the SP3 update for many. I have had no problems with Windows since until this new one now.

Derek

DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

<<It doesn't happen all the time and whatever was changed does not seem to be effecting my computer or its performance.  It would be nice if Windows XP would not only warn you of the files being changed but tell you which ones they were.>>

By chance I have found that with my system I do not get this error if I leave my (Windows XP) screensaver turned off (i.e. I am not now using a screensaver) EXCEPT everytime Windows Defender does a scan. Likewise my computer is otherwise performing correctly with all the programs I have used since.

Derek

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community