cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
candymancan
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Why does Mcafee cause my computer to bootup extremely slow ?

Im not sure what version i have i got it for free from being a comcast customer. I just downloaded the latest on there website. However its still causing my computer to boot extremely slow. I mean it litteraly takes like 5 minutes to bootup sitting on my desktop. Also why can i just disable the whole security center like i can other programs and just turn it on when i want too. I always have to uninstall it to keep my pc from being so slow and reinstall it when i want to scan.

If i uninstall it im fine.

Im using Windows Vista

E8400 C2D
4GB DDR2
8 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 9

RE: Why does Mcafee cause my computer to bootup extremely slow ?

Uninstall it and you leave the PC open security wise unless you install another program.

Did u have any other software installed previously? If so did u remove it via its removal tool. Sometimes bits and pieces left over interfere with the install

I agree it is slow I have a bug report in these past 2 mths as I test the beta versions and 9.11 slowed down heaps. Prior to 9.11 9.5 opened in 6 seconds. Mine sits 90 seconds on the desktop. 5 minutes seem a tad long though. I assume also trying to go online or access email no a go till it loads?

Open the security centre and open the about tab bottom right. What version have u of security centre I assume 9.11?

Any other Comcast users notice this issue on 9.11 and vista.
candymancan
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Its not 5 minutes, but its like 3x longer then it usually takes, and yea i cant even click on anything until its done loading. The computer basicly feals like its hanging or something.

Its version 9.11.109, it did this to me last year too when i used it. I prefer to keep mcafee because the free version of anti-virus like AVG and stuff dont find things that mcafee does but still its just way to slow and they dont even have a option to disable the security center, and turning it off in services or mconfig doesnt seem to do anything.

If you do google searchs it seems to do this on older versions as well im finding posts from 2002 with people getting slow boot times..
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 9

What mine does as well and this makes it longer is it updates as soon as it loads so I set updating to notify me before downloading.

The new version coming out in beta er soon will be i feel far better. Will know more once I test it.

You can enrole for the beta testing if you wish at www.beta.mcafee.com. US users get sometimes a free subscription if they are active in testing the beta and reply to surveys.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

You could also perhaps reduce the number of startup programs which is easy to do in Vista if Windows Defender is enabled. Go to WD/Tools/Software Explorer and you will see all the Startup items listed there.
Try disabling some, but not the McAfee ones, and to do this you will need to click the "Show for all users" button at bottom left of that pane and OK any UAC prompt you get.
Then disable some if you feel that they are not needed. It may take a bit of experimentation to get it right. Reboot to see the results.

It's often surprising to see what is there and how many things are vying for attention at startup.

It's easier to do this than the msconfig route.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

An afterthought....if you are storing many emails in your inbox in whatever email software you use on your PC that can cause long delays when not only VirusScan but Anti-Spam (prev. Spamkiller) also will scan the inbox.

Always keep your inbox empty. Create special folders under the main Local Folders for storage, not as sub-folders of the Inbox.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

I think I already stated that & a lot more.
candymancan
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

I dont have many things at all, i built this computer myself i'm a enthusiest when it comes to computers. Hardly anything is on in msconfig, and under services i have everything i dont need off. Like Superfetch,defender,security center, i dont use outlook express either. I use AOL for e-mails, or hotmail.

I would say outa all my services in vista half are enabled, half are either set to manuall or disabled. Trust me its tweaked pretty well. It only does this when mcafee is installed.

Im looking at the event viewer under administation tools and its telling me my boottimes on the days i didnt have mcafee installed were somewhere in the 60000ms, and now they are 157000ms so basicly double.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Well, did you see my remark regarding email folders, assuming you have Anti-Spam installed?
I can only suggest perhaps removing any part of the suite you don't need or having Technical Support Chat (top left of this page or in my signature) go into your machine to see if anything untoward is happening.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community