cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david9491
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Where to find the chat client???

Whenever I try to use the internet chat facility to contact customer support (as emails seem to be ignored), the "download chat client" button simply takes me to the support home page, with no indication where I can find the chat client (JavaScript is enabled on my browser). Can anybody give me a direct URL, or other advice?
TIA - David:confused:
9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

RE: Where to find the chat client???

Top of page second from left and it works as I just tested it, or a quicker link is in my signature, or here: http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=CHAT
david9491
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the prompt reply, but I'm still getting nowhere!

Your link takes me to the Customer Service for Home and Home Office/Chat and Email page, where I select UK-English from the pulldown menu and click Next.

This takes me to the FAQ page; clicking the Continue button takes me to another Chat and Email page, where I again choose UK-English from the pulldown menu and click Next.

This then takes me to the Service Type page, where I am offered only one option: Free Internet Chat (no email option, for some reason). Selecting the one available option and clicking Continue takes me to the Chat page, where I duly fill in the form with which I am presented.

Clicking Submit takes me to a page where I am given a Service Request Number and invited to Download Chat Client. That link takes me to the support home page (http://service.mcafee.com/) which is where I started! I can find no obvious link to a page where I can download the Chat Client.

I'm not a stupid person - I have a Masters degree in Computer Science amongst others - but either I'm doing something wrong or the site just doesn't work for me!

David :confused:
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

I wasn't suggesting that you were stupid, by no means. Is Windows/Java etc. etc. up to date? Plus is Internet Explorer set to it's default settings? Most McAfee applications depend on an up to date and functioning IE.

I just went through exactly those steps and it worked fine for me.

The alternative is to call them directly. The phone link is on the same page.
david9491
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Bong!!! (sound of penny dropping). It seems to require IE - my default browser is Firefox 3.5.

Surely every web developer tests their sites in multiple browsers nowadays..... not McAfee, apparently.

Thanks for your help.

David
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

LOL, well even I didn't realise that you needed to set IE as the default for it to work....so I've learned something too.

Don't you just love technology?

passingthrough
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Re: Where to find the chat client???

The link is: removed as non-functional.

Former software tester and having the same issue - figured a way to find the direct link. I'm chatting at the moment, went through IE... but link prompted a download through FireFox. Hope that helps others.

Sincerely,

Jeremy R., the Kung Fu Guy

Oh, and when I was testing, we had about 9000 individual tests all manually executed over several days per platform and were expected to support the following:

1) Operating Systems:

- Win 3.1

- Win 32

- Win98

- WinME

- Win2000

- WinXP

- Mac something 9x or 8x or whatever weirdness they operate under (long time ago for me to remember but it was two versions of Mac)

2) Browsers:

- IE 4

- IE 5

- IE 6

- Netscape 3 or something

- Netscape 4

- Opera (just to see what didn't work)

- and one or two other browsers of little use to anyone but VERY large clients that spent mega-bucks that you wanna keep happy

oh, and factor in all the various service packs...

Now, match the browers with the OS and the 9000 test cases that were written to run on the 'default supported browser/os combo'... and run all that 1x a week for 6 weeks, regression testing old stuff to make sure the new stuff didn't break it, and testing the new stuff... while writing test cases for the next release, the testing of which starts the Monday after the current release, and doing requirement reviews for the release after the one after the one we're doing now. Whee!

The target client base were loath to move to new technology (it works, I don't wanna upgrade) which eventually forced the company to say 'we no longer support os whatever, browser whatever' just to drop off the needs of the regression testing (except for the mega clients doing umpteenly amounts daily on the software). I ended up being part of the team to figure out what combinations of os/browser made sense and what regression tests made sense to get the broadest swipe in the fastest time possible for the cheapest hourly cost.

So, yah, testers and developers might miss a few things here any there... which, in light of the above, seems reasonable to me... *steps off soapbox*

*bows*

Message was edited by: passingthrough on 1/27/10 7:32:01 PM CST

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/01/10 8:35:47 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Well thanks, I think.  You are posting to a thread that's many months old and the link you posted is only good for your own session and doesn't work after that.

passingthrough
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

oh, well... fartknockers. I am having the problem right now so figured I'd stick the link out there - didn't look at it too much to figure out the session id thingy... I'm out of geekdown about 7 years now *sigh* ancient history.

cherrio!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

All the best.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community