cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VzUser
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Verizon-McAfee computer-crippling software issue NOT answered

This issue is most assuredly not answered.  Please see my reply sent on 10/17/2010 @ 11:28 a.m. (post #164?) to prior thread "answered" question regarding McSvHost.  I have also copied my earlier post below:

I am having same or similar problem.  Have had subscription to Verizon Internet Security Suite/3 since Oct 2006.  We are entitled to use on 3 computers. . . . We have 2 PC's and a netbook, all running Windows XP, all with latest service packs & udates etc.   VzISS was RadialPoint.  Recently I accepted prompt by Verizon Service Point  to download  "upgraded" security suite "powered by McAfee" from my account on Verizon website.  Successfully installed and ran new Vz-McAfee on Computer #1 (the one I am now using) on or about Oct 10, 2010.   On Oct 11, I installed McAfee on laptop.  (In both instances I had uninstalled prior [RadialPoint] Verizon Security Suite before installing McAfee.)  Software was immediately active on both computers.  My computer was fine on October 12 in the morning.  In the afternoon I installed McAfee on 3rd computer after download from my account on Verizon website. . . . Later in the evening on Oct 12, I went back to my own PC (computer #1) and found it crippled.  The McAfee console had a big green check but warned me to activate my subscription by October 16.  Several attempts to activate failed.  I could not open a browser -- not Firefox, nor IE.   Tried everything including System Restore, lost a lot of sleep.  On the morning of October 15 I used Windows Add/Remove programs to remove McAfee.  Suddenly I was able to open Firefox and re-verify my McAfee account status on Verizon website.   About 1 p.m. on Oct 15, I  phoned Verizon FIOS technical support and spoke with an agent who eventually introduced me to a McAfee agent who at first could find no account.for me, but eventually found one with an email adddress that we had used for an independently purchased McAfee 1-year subscription that we let lapse in 2006.  The McAfee agent assigned a case#.  He sent me a link to download McA Software Removal Tool. Didn't help.  So he gave me another case# and sent me a link to McAfee online CHAT tech support to see if they could help me.  CHAT tech asked me (typed) if I was having trouble activating my account.   I recapped sorry history.  McAfee CHAT tech eventually declared himself "helpless" because he could not find an account for me, although I had given him three email addresses to try, two currently associated with my Verizon account, as well as the one found by the McAfee agent who had earlier passed me to McAfee CHAT support.  I tried again with another McAfeeCHAT support agent who could not find my account.  Of course I had to run the McAfee Virtual Technician tool several times in the process. . . . At this moment I do have McAfee software re-installed on my computer (after many failed attempts) and the console assures me that my computer is secure and that a virus scan is sceduled to run tomorrow, but I am also informed in red letters that my subscription must be activated by October 30 (so they can bill me again, I suppose).  The firewall settings are greyed out, and so are other options, but I am not concerned.  Unless this so-called activation problem is fixed very soon, I will cancel McAfee next week.

2 Replies
VzUser
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Verizon-McAfee computer-crippling software issue NOT answered

Herewith attached is another notification email I received from Verizon since my posts this morning.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Verizon-McAfee computer-crippling software issue NOT answered

Hello Vzuser,

Please reply to your original post here : https://community.mcafee.com/message/155297 and we will be with you shortly . .

Locking thread as duplicate

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community