cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 131 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

Ok... I tried the Australian version... no go. While it was loaded I got this message in events.

Reached crypt32 threshold of 50 events and will suspend logging for 60 minutes

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

as a result of 50 of these messages...

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This network connection does not exist.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

My computer completely locked up after installing Malwarebytes.

Now my second computer, which was fine until yesterday, is now doing the same thing.

Message was edited by: GojuKid1 on 1/13/10 3:06:02 PM CST
saty
Former Member
Message 132 of 230

Has there really been no messaes to this thread in 5 days ????

Is everyone clear of this problem ????

on 1/18/10 11:08:32 AM CST
GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 133 of 230

No the problem still exists... I have to reboot after every update. The system locks up.

This morning's error message.......

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 3420 (0xd5c)
Thread address : 0x7C90E514
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\Engine\5301.4018\config.dat
by c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

No other program is mentioned here. They are all McAfee files!!  I don't think I will renew the 3 subscriptions (all different locations) when they are up. Going to look for a better virus protection program.

ARGH!!!!

curta
Former Member
Message 134 of 230

>Has there really been no messaes to this thread in 5 days ????  Is everyone clear of this problem ????

No. I uninstalled it and I'm monitoring this channel for when McAfee figures out the problem and issues an update. Then and only then will I reinstall. Too bad I can't get a refund

BTW, AVG works really well and NEVER gives me a "your machine may not be protected..." message.

tailz2002
Former Member
Message 135 of 230

My license expires in August and I certainly WILL NOT be renewing, i'll be using anyone other than McAfee!

saty
Former Member
Message 136 of 230

does anyone use Norton's ???

I use it on a separate machine, and it has been painless so far - any negatives ????

Wild-Turkey
Former Member
Message 137 of 230

I did have Norton on my Laptop and my Desktop both running XP Pro. With Norton and XP Pro,  I had no problems.  However, as you know Norton does tend to hoard resources at times, but it offers great protection in return. Whether this has improved with 2010, I don't know yet.

When I replaced my Desktop in December, Dell did not offer Norton, so I took the free McAfee with WIN 7.  What a bad move that was!  I have been on the phone with McAfee entry level support (all day last Monday) and Level 2 support (all day today), with no success.  They now feel it is a compatibility issue between WIN 7 and McAfee...no kidding?  I told them unless they come up with some answers that fix the problem, I will remove McAfee from both computers and install Norton Internet Security 2010 (I just bought a 3 PC license yesterday).  Level 2 promised to bump me up to level 3 and have them call me tomorrow.  If I don't hear from them by 10:00 am EST or they fail to produce a solution, I will install Norton and remove McAfee.  I will keep you posted on the results.  I also directed them to this site and told them to read all the horror stories going back to September 2009.

If it is a compatibility issue, it should have been discovered during beta testing of both McAfee and Microsoft products.  There is no excuse for issuing software that has not been fully tested.  I am suprised that someone has not started a class action suit...maybe someone will, if the security of their system is breeched because of this bug and they suffer damage to files and system.  Anyway, I will give them one more chance...then I move on.

geoperkins
Former Member
Message 138 of 230

NO NEW PROBLEMS. MAYBE IT IS FIXED HERE?

It has been a couple weeks since I posted and since then - no "not protected" error. The last thing I did was uninstall Adobe's Download Manager (which was identified in my error message logged by Windows in the system.log and seen in the event viewer). Also at that same time I ran the Microsoft One Care system cleaner. Not sure which of those two steps, or purely coincidence, fixed the problem. Subsequently I've installed several Windows Security Updates, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3, and several automatic updates from McAfee. So far, so good.

This is Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 on a Dell with an Intel quad core. I have four computers runing the same McAfee Internet Security suite, networked together at home. All the other computers are Windows XP SP3 with no "not protected" issues.

What I learned in this process is that the 1st level "support" offered by McAfee is a disservice and very bad marketing. McAfee would do better by making their problem database available for searching and cancelling their call center contracts. I'm up for renewal in two months and I definitely will be reviewing my options. I have some investment in learning McAfee and getting it set up on the family computers; relearning a new product will be a tough pill to swallow if I dump McAfee; but hey, McAfee you do it to yourself by inflicting your horrible call center on us all in the name of "support".

Peacekeeper
Message 139 of 230

Ex_brit another mod  has the beta and 9.15 running on 3 Os's 1 of which is win 7 64bit and I have the beta and release Beta on win 7 32 and 64bit home premium  and no issues here. Unsure why they say win 7 has a clash will be interested in their further comment.

Try removing the locked file found in event viewer and run 1 care. Unsure which helps though I think the locking file was corrupted.

on 19/01/10 2:42:40 PM
RickStress
Former Member
Message 140 of 230

My son's computer was new out of the box in August of 2009 It only had McAfee software loaded in it, as far as antivirus. This problem started right from the beginning, with in a week of the first time booting it up. I tried to register the software again while he was home for break, no go. Each time it redirected me to a customer service/message center that messaged me back stating, that this address is not monitored. At that point I quit! Between the crappy customer service and technical support from very limited English speaking folks. The amount of time wasted and aggravation is not worth it. My son is 1500 miles away from home at college, he needs a reliable computer and I need reliable software for my son's computer. Simple as that! I uninstalled the McAfee Internet Security Software and installed another antivirus software. I am certain I will not have any problems with the new software. Although, I have installed the McAfee software on my desk-top at home, we will see what happens this time, need to get my use from this software somehow.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks,   Rick

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community