cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 111 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

The second computer that works has its own registered (same) version. Both Malwarebytes and McAfee load on boot and no problems occur. On my computer, I have have everything boot including McAfee except Malwarebytes. The computer hangs if I load Malwarebytes on boot and then McAfee says "Not Protected". After I go to the "Fix" McShield is not running. When I load Malwarebytes after boot and turn it off for McAfee updates everything works fine. This pretty well a repeat of my last post. Both computers are running Windows XP (SP2) and are both up to date.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both programs and have run the 'OneCare', no problems were found.

I do not have the Adobe Updater.

Message was edited by: GojuKid1 on 1/5/10 12:55:12 AM CST

Message was edited by: GojuKid1 on 1/5/10 12:56:29 AM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 112 of 230

Gojukid1

you posted event viewer log

I have Malwarebytes installed and it set to run when Windows XP is started. It seems to be stopping McShield from loading.

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 2396 (0x95c)
Thread address : 0x7C90E514
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\VIRUSSCAN\1033\VSLOGRES.DLL
by C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

That to me says Malwarebytes and mcafee tried scanning same file at same time. That is an issue with registered versions loading real time scanners. Unsure why other PC not an issue but maybe you are lucky.

Nice to see some of you stable at the moment after uninstalling the offending file I still would like info that cpmdoc posted re what Av installed and add ons .

Please keep me updated.

noone brave enough to try updating/installing from australian server it has TP4 available?

aprilfool
Former Member
Message 113 of 230

Peacekeeper:

I've been having this issue, and it is NOT realted to the Adobe Download Manager.  When I viewed the Event Manager, McAfee was timing out on various JPGs I was retrieving off of a very slow/dying/damaged external HDD.  It would then enter the "Not Protected" state.  If having the details would help your investigation, just let me know what you need.

Regards,

Bruce

saty
Former Member
Message 114 of 230

I agree, I don't think my problem was from either Adobe or MalWarebytes

Message was edited by: saty on 1/5/10 1:51:39 PM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 115 of 230

Aprilfool yes scanning a disk with bad sectors will cause timeout. I do mention this in my first post in this thread and suggest chkdsk c: /r the disk though any file so messed up by this will have to be replaced. If you do not have the files scanning is the issue still occurring?

saty agreed it is caused by something either bad sectors in the disk in the area the file event viewer shows resides or something is opening the file and not closing it correctly.  This or a clash of programs has to be the main cause.

Saty have you run event viewer since 5 Dec? (your post back a bit says no mcafee noting since then) So are you still getting the popups other than for the jpgs??

on 6/01/10 6:31:52 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/01/10 6:37:18 AM
saty
Former Member
Message 116 of 230

a) When I had the problem I ran chkdsk at least three times, clean every time

b) I never had the issue with jpgs as far as I know, It would sometimes happen on reboot, but mostly just happened ON ITS OWN, TYPICALY WHEN I WAS OUT OF THE ROOM, OR WATCHING TV (NOT ON PC)

c) the only thing I know I did was run the OneCare cleaner

d)  looked last week at the event viewer, and it had some problems ( I believe between the OneCare run and no problem anymore) with some files tat start with "_restore......................."

e) If you tell me which apps to check are not unstarted (and where) I can check tonight.

I have not had ONE "Not Protected" since 05 Dec 09

Peacekeeper
Message 117 of 230

Ok seems you had an issue with a system restore file. Either 1 care fixed it somehow or did you clean system restore?

The real time scanner found the file you do not need to do anything it scans in the background.

saty
Former Member
Message 118 of 230

I have never done a System Restore

Peacekeeper
Message 119 of 230

Sorry what I meant is did you clear the system restore by disabling it I assume no. So must have been something 1 care did.

System restore runs on the background saving settings.

GojuKid1
Former Member
Message 120 of 230

Just monitored a McAfee update... Malwarbytes was not loaded. Checked the 'Event Log'

A thread in process C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 4444 (0x115c)
Thread address : 0x7C90E514
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\Engine\5301.4018\config.dat
by c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

The system hung for about 90 seconds and the next entry in the 'Event Log' was

McShield service started.
Engine version : 5301.4018
DAT version : 5853.0000

Number of signatures in EXTRA.DAT : None
Names of threats that EXTRA.DAT can detect : None

Curious that it hangs for a minute and a half???

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community