cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 81 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

The Windows "Event Log" is indeed the location you need.  Windows Vista and XP should have similar access.  No ideas for Windows 7, although it also should be similar.

For Windows XP, the sequence to access is:

1.  Right-click on "My Computer" (or, "Start ---> Administrative Tools", if in your "Start Menu")

2.  Click "Manage"

3.  Expand "Event Viewer" (click on the "+")

4.  The log entries needed are in two (2) locations:  "Application" and "System"

5.  The entries under "Application" will have a source of "McLogEvent", and should be proximate to and "Error" entries.

6.  The "System" log entries are created by the Windows Services management.  Locate entries with a source of "eventlog" (these are created at Windows shutdown and boot-up.  The failing service entries should follow (actually, precede, since the order is recent to first ).

7.  To view any entry in either of these logs, right-click on the entry and click "Properties".

saty
Former Member
Message 82 of 230

the Windows Cleanup reported 600 items for me.

I run the McAfee cleanup tool once a month .........................................

cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 83 of 230

Thanks for the detailed instructions...I am with geoperkins on this one - almost an identical error:

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
   8980 (0x2314)
   0x77BF5E74
   Build VSCORE.14.0.0.435 / 5301.4018 Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll by C:\Windows\system32\services.exe 4(0)(0) 4(0)(0) 7200(0)(0) 7595(0)(0) 7005(0)(0) 7004(0)(0) 5006(0)(0) 5004(0)(0)

Just running Microsoft OneCare Safety Scanner and then will uninstall Adobe Download Manager and see how we go!!

Chris

Peacekeeper
Message 84 of 230

Whoo please do not run cleaner I need to confirm removing the adobe stuff fixes things before to clean. Not that i like cleaners as seen issues running them.

I hope I got to you in time. It does seem an adode/mcafee clash

Iassume you are dual booting? What OS is on drive 3

Thanks SeanMc98 for the steps

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/12/09 6:34:51 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/12/09 7:12:19 AM
SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 85 of 230

The file "....... Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll" is indeed an Adobe-related file.  Specifically, Adobe uses the NOS Microsystems installer to install upgrades to Adobe Flash, among other possible products.  This specific application (the "...... Program Files\NOS\") files are used during re-boot (Windows "RunOnce" HKLM key) ostensibly to cleanup the Adobe install material, then is supposed to self-delete.

I verified the "......Program Files\NOS\" libraries on my 3 Windows/XP PC's, and they are empty.  If I understand this long-running thread aright, McAfee Real-Time Scanner is stalling (no response within 90000 ms) during re-boot, triggering the "Not Protected" symptom, with Real-time Scanning (and other services) disabled.  So (the long and short) unless Adobe's Flash has just been upgraded, this file should NOT even be around.

This now begs several questions:

1)  Does McAfee Real-time Scanner scan during Windows startup (is the hang in question during processing of the HKLM "RunOnce" startup key)

2)  Why, unless this is the first reboot following a Flash upgrade, is this file still around ?

3)  Does McAfee McODS (the McAfee "On-demand" scanner) also hang while scanning "......Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll" ?

4)  If the failure is NOT during reboot/startup, and If the failing module is McAfee "Real-Time Scanner", why is this module ("...... Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_Helper.dll") being scanned ?

Question #1 is somewhat troubling, since, if occuring during startup, has the McAfee startup initialization completed prior to performing a scan on a startup program ?

This problem reminds me of a comment from Yoda .... something about "raising more questions than answers" ...........

saty
Former Member
Message 86 of 230

my \programs\NOS folder is empty

No bin folder

file is not found anywhere on drive

I also checked my backup drive, which also has empty NOS folder, so I do not think it has been there since I got the backdrive about 6 weeks ago

(please, please, please, problem predates backup drive, no I will not reinstall Windows)

SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 87 of 230

I am not suggesting a re-install of Windows (or anything else).

Is it possible that the real-time scanner is checking the "System Restore" folders (where the stuff might still be) ?  It should not be checking the Recycle Bin, so what (and where) is it checking (and hanging) ?

saty
Former Member
Message 88 of 230

I did a search C: and my 😧 drive - wouldn't it see them ????

I went into the Event Viewer, and there are several of the 90000 ms thingies - mostly gagging on the videowavemc.exe file that seems to have been foxed in beginning of Dec

I haven't had any mcafee error events since 12/5 I think, the last couple were some _restore_yadda_yadd.exe file

saty
Former Member
Message 89 of 230

Your assumption our problems have been during reboot is incorrect, at least for me

When I had it, it would happened long after reboot and not only when an update was happening

cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 90 of 230

Ah! Go on...let me run the cleaner!! 🙂  I'd rather risk that than wasting a couple more hours of my life with support!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community