cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 21 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

Uninstalled - rebooted - awaited popup - run services.msc

McAfee Real-Time Scanner is stopped

Recovery options are greyed out and subsequent failures set to 'Take No Action'

Hope this helps!

McAfee Services is set to always restart on recovery.

plenty_otoole
Former Member
Message 22 of 230

Running current definitions, McAfee finds exactly nothing. F-Secure and Malwarebytes are nearly identical, I've attached the results from the former below. Had to resort to third party tools to get this far with it.

I'm almost at a loss for words at this point. My employer supplies this software to us at no charge. They have a license for it. But it is not a value if it does not detect this problem. I've managed to delete most of this manually and with quite a bit of time. Once I finish this will probably be the very last time I use McAfee's products on anything I own. We have four computers at my home including my laptop. May not be enough to convince McAfee to take an interest in solving the problem, but it's enough to convince me that it might be easier to switch, than fight.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 230

This thread is about a fault some people are experiencing where the SecurityCenter indicates that the protection is turned off.  Not about detection of malware.  You should be posting in Malware Discussions regarding any problems with detections.

http://community.mcafee.com/community/security/malware_discussion/consumer for Home version

http://community.mcafee.com/community/security/malware_discussion/corporate for Corporate (Enterprise) version.

plenty_otoole
Former Member
Message 24 of 230

I  should have been more verbose.

1.McShield stops operation on it's own with no warning.

2.The rest of McAfee's products except for Security Center stop within twenty to thirty minutes. They produce a warning popup followed by Security Center opening up with the traditional messages reported ad nauseum in this forum since October of 2009.

3. Security Center restores all but McShield, based on evaluating running processes with HJT and Task Manager.

4. McShield manually restarts okay based on HJT and Task Manager.

5. Process begins at step 1 within 30-40 minutes.

I ran MVT five times and a full scan more times than I can count with current or higher (than MVT) versions as also reported by the attached file. Each time it reported nothing. F-Secure and Malwarebytes both reported the results already posted.

Having used F-secure and manual tools to remove the virus and associated files (See earlier attachment) it seems that McAfee is no longer stopping.

I have no idea why MVT reports 'unsupported' product. Must be referring to either McAfee products or Microsoft, maybe both.

Feel free to move my posts wherever you like. I don't think it will help folks with the application stopping, which was the symptom but not the underlying problem.

Peacekeeper
Message 25 of 230

Can you run the services command and confirm exactly by screen shot what services are stopped and the settings. The more info we get the better change of getting the tool amended to get this bug removed.

the tool Brookz ( a Mcafee T3 Tech) posted is legit it is prepared by Mcafee support staff and needs "testing in the wild" it did work on the system they have but they need to confirm the working of it on postrers PCs. It is provided with an uninstall method.

plenty_otoole
Former Member
Message 26 of 230

Tony,

Read your reply about two hours after I fixed things. It has been running for four hours stable with no crashes.It has been a long day.I did save all of the logs but one which became a casualty of the process.

McShield failed first each iteration with no popups or announcements. I used either HJT process analyze, Task Manager, or both to confirm. When Security Console would launch on failure after the popup 'you aren't protected' warning, it would green up after I clicked on 'fix this stuff' but absolutely did not restore McShield each time. I checked. Rather than go into what I did that didn't work, here's what did -

HJT - lock down registry and process changes. If you don't do this you will never be able to kill the trojan/process off.

Task Manager - Used this and HJT to evaluate running processes then, kill off the running one that was my best guess (C.0ex on mine) is to be the trojan (it was).

Note:With HJT set to lock down registry and process changes you are going to get a TON of warnings. I don't know of an easier way, this is just what I had available and it works for me.

F-secure Online Scan  - This detected one trojan but seemed to miss the other two. Could have been something I missed, anyways......

Malwarebytes (free) and Antisuperspyware (also FREE) - Found the remaining two trojans that F-secure did not pickup.

All three succeeded at removing the trojans that I had not already removed manually. As you might expect, I had to edit permissions for each of the ones I deleted that way.

After deleting the last traces McAfee Security Center would no longer let me 'fix' any of the applications. I had downloaded the stub to reinstall and at this point elected to do a System Restore. Somehow my user account got mangled and I had to do a userinit. Once I had completed this, the existing install began working fine. I still began a new installation and had to remove the running/previous version using Task Manager before it could complete.

It has been working fine since then. It's been a bit of a long day. I may have overlooked something, but that is what seems to have done the trick for me. It sure beats doing a full reinstall.

If you want the remainder of the logs let me know and I'll upload them. Sorry about the missed opportunity. I'm sure there will be more.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 230

Glad it's working again.  The business with MVT not finding anything is common in some setups that have OEM versions of the software and under certain other conditions apparently.

I've found many problems are caused by the use of registry cleaners and optimizers which often remove or disable important software components.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/12/09 6:11:55 EST AM
Peacekeeper
Message 28 of 230

So Mcafee warning was the trojan actually stopping the service to try to get it to be allowed to do its thing.

The file Brookz provided would probably not work well in this situation.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/12/09 6:59:21 AM
saty
Former Member
Message 29 of 230

Hi

I've been away for awhile, and I have been trying to follow this tread, but you know half the time I don't understand .....

can someone comment in a nontechnical way:

a) is some virus/trojan, etc shutting the protection off ? is it really off ???

b) when we "Fix" the missing protecton, is it really fixed ?

c) are we closer to fixing this ?

Thanks

cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 30 of 230

Here is what was stopped on this occasion: mcafee1.jpg

And the services just showed the Real Time Scanner wasn't running: mcafee2.jpg

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community