Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamOfSquid
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Update program stealing focus

Hi.

Is there any way to file a bug report on this site?  I have a very specific issue but I have been unable to find a place to resolve it.  I have tried tech support, but we seem to be having communication issues.  If there is anyone here that can tell me where/how to report an issue, I would be very grateful.  Or if there is someone employed by McAfee that can help, even better.  It's not an urgent issue, it's just very annoying and I just want to know that someone has been made aware of it and that it will get looked into at some point.  In case anyone can help, this is my exact issue:

McAfee's update program will sometimes steal the focus from whatever window is active.  It will play the Windows Explorer "Start Navigation" sound (which is normally a subtle click sound).  And then after a few seconds, control will return to the window that previously had the focus.  This is not causing any serious harm to my system, but it is annoying when it causes me to miss typed characters and things along those lines.

I wrote a program to determine which executables were starting and stopping and when.  Whenever I lose focus, the following 4 executables always start and stop within a matter of about 10 seconds:
McUpdate.exe
McSmtFwk.exe
McUICnt.exe
wmiprvse.exe

I have verified that all of the executables listed are in the expected folders, and wmiprvse.exe is a valid size.

It might not happen every time update runs, so there may be a matter of it needing a certain piece of information from the local machine or from the servers.  It helps to detect the issue if you change the start navigation sound to something really obnoxious, like a really loud siren (though it cuts off in the middle of long sounds).

I am using McAfee Total Protection.

Security Center is version 10.5.178

Virus Scan is version 14.5.113

Thank You

2 Replies
Krush
Contributor
Message 2 of 3
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 3

Re: Update program stealing focus

@SamOfSquid wrote:

I am using McAfee Total Protection.

Security Center is version 10.5.178

Virus Scan is version 14.5.113

Thank You

Hi @SamOfSquid

Seems you're using an older version of McAfee Security. The latest version of Security Center is 17.4 and I strongly recommend you re-install McAfee. Ensure you follow the below sequence

1. Uninstall from Control Panel and restart PC when prompted

2. Run the Removal tool MCPR and restart PC. TS101331

3. Download and install from Online McAfee account. TS100342

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community