Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 21

Re: Update Issues

The extra.dat only applies to Enterprise (Business) products.  A regular update should take care of machines using the home product, alternatively you could uninstall everything, run the MCPR cleanup tool (assuming home products here), reboot and reinstall.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 21

n6wk wrote:

Ex-Brit,

You are one of the FEW lucky ones if you found the existing Support to be helpful.

My experience with them has been the exact opposite. No help at all. Just a lot of fumbling around by someone who obviously had NO clue what they were doing.

My experience was so bad that I will never contact McAfee support via the Telephone ever again.

Companies should be required to put a dislaimer on each box of software stating that they use 3rd world countries for support instead of people that actually know the product inside and out.

Now, Please explain how this recent run of events was allowed to happen if you can. How many weeks have we been fighting this Shut down error thing? Even after all this time, McAfee wants the end users to solve it for them.

Now with this Re-booting/Crashing problem, McAfee has even bigger problems.

What happened to the days when McAfee was a great Stable product and you could pick and choose which elements you wanted to install?

Message was edited by: n6wk on 4/21/10 5:09:55 PM CDT

Message was edited by: n6wk on 4/21/10 5:25:17 PM CDT

Sorry, n6wk I am not a technician, just a user like your self volunteering my time.  If I could find an answer I would give it, but I can't, sorry.

Spectrum
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

I lost my home computer also.  Now the problem I have is that computer cannot connect to the internet.  How will I be able to update it when this is fixed?  The wireless is fine as my laptop (which updated last night and kept kicking me off the internet) can connect.

amtronic
Former Member
Message 14 of 21

I booted in safe mode with networking, I am able to get here w/o any problems.  I do get constant reminders from mcafee that I am unprotected, I know that, but at this point mcafee is its own worst enemy.  I had to do a search and find a copy of SVCHOST.EXE (in my i386 folder) and copied it over to the windows/system386 folder.  In safe mode mcafee doesn't quarantine the file. I have held off uninstalling mcafee for now, I want to see what their fix looks like first.

Big problem for me is, my wife touted mcafee to her company based on my recommendation.  After installing it, half the PCs went out today.  They are all giving her dirty looks like its her fault mcafee borked the systems.  Well she shouldn't have listened to me I guess.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 21

I'll ask for help.  You don't honestly think this only happens with McAfee?   Think again.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/04/10 7:08:25 EDT PM
amtronic
Former Member
Message 16 of 21

I retired from a big communications company.  I know what it is like to stand in front of a customer and explain your product's -umm- features (it's not a bug, it's a feature). While I am mad at mcafee, I know its a cycle that eventually hits everyone with some type of critical product issue.  Next week it will be MS.

. on 4/22/10 9:35:03 AM EDT
n6wk
Former Member
Message 17 of 21

How about this scenario? Suppose you took your car in for routine Service and something the Mechanic did made your Car inoperable.

You would expect the Dealer to cover your cost to get a rental car until the problem THEY caused was resolved.. yes?

I feel that McAfee is Liable for any and All monitary damages caused by this mess.

Message was edited by: n6wk on 4/21/10 6:40:14 PM CDT
emtjoe
Former Member
Message 18 of 21

Well this explains why half the computers at the government agency where I work went fakaka (I think that's a technical term) today.  Well if anything, you gave me a half hour break until things got fixed.  Hey, this happens to all software companies at one time or another.  Not going to rag on McAfee too hard for this one.

amtronic
Former Member
Message 19 of 21

The root cause is, McAfee LIKE EVERY OTHER TECH COMPANY these days, has cut back on their QA process and pushed that function out to the customer.  Look at MS and Win7, a big beta test period where the customer base is doing all the heavy lifting.  McAfee does it with their beta testing, Cisco does it with their router products OS, etc, etc, all because the cost of the staff to do the testing in-house is prohibitive. It is a lot more cost-effective to throw out a close-to-finished product and let the masses identify the problems. Here we have a situation where McAfee didn't get it right before sending it out to their customer base. It was made worse by the auto update feature hitting lots of PCs in a very short period.  A manual update would have been a smaller hit due to people doing it when their own schedule permitted them to do it.

I hope the outcome of this is that McAfee ratchets up their QA to prevent this from ever happening again. Its a black eye but they will get over it, its a good product.

dkduvall
Former Member
Message 20 of 21

Enterprise Customers DO already pay a fortune for Security Software to keep their machines running.We expect and demand better. Releasing software that was obviously not fully tested on a supported platform is inexcusable. McAfee's in this case was negligent and should bear the costs of the damage they caused as a result. Why should they be any different than any other company? They are after all a Security company that literally millions depend on each day to get it right the first time.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community