Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarnia
Contributor III
Message 1 of 6

Uninstalling preinstalled McAfee

Jump to solution

New computer, Windows 8, old computer blew up. I have a paid for subcription for Total Protection and need to uninstall the preinstalled version then install my paid for version from my paid for account.

Under useful links>MCPR the TS101331 article states that a preinstalled McAfee product must be activated before uninstalling, reinstalling only installs your McAfee home users applications, but might not recover your paid subscription term information.

The preinstalled version has been working ok, I haven't registered or logged into it as I'm not sure if that will mess up my paid for account. So what I need to know is can I just go ahead and uninstall from Programs& Features > Download and run MCPR > Restart computer > Go to my paid for account and download?

Advice much appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Uninstalling preinstalled McAfee

Jump to solution

A preinstalled McAfee product must be activated before uninstalling, reinstalling the same product, so if you are installing a different product then you can simply uninstall it, then run MCPR, reboot and install your new product.

Even if it was the same product it can be sorted out by Technical Support anyway.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/04/13 11:27:25 EDT AM

View solution in original post

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

A preinstalled McAfee product must be activated before uninstalling, reinstalling the same product, so if you are installing a different product then you can simply uninstall it, then run MCPR, reboot and install your new product.

Even if it was the same product it can be sorted out by Technical Support anyway.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/04/13 11:27:25 EDT AM
sarnia
Contributor III
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks Ex_Brit, The product I'm wanting to uninstall is SC v. 11.6 and my paid for version is 12.1 so I take it that because its a different version I don't have to activate v.11.6 ...correct? 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Correct.

sarnia
Contributor III
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Many thanks, will do the deed tomorrow and hope all goes well...(or I'll be back!!!!)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

LOL, good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community