cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sophiedog
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Unable to Install

I have a new Dell Studio 1537 and when the recommended McAfee software ran out, I renewed my subscription for Security Center for 1yr. But I am unable to download/install from internet using dsl. I get various error messages: mchost.exe, mccoreps.dll, mcevtbrk.dll, mcvsshld.exe, mcagent.exe, mcore.inf

My computer: Intel Core 2 DuoT6400; Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium 64 bit edition

Was online with a tech last night which ended unsucessfully. Here's what he had me do:

1.Did preinstall tool
2.deleted browser history
3.checked security levels
4.made some changes to internet explorer
5. ran a tool: ....cust_support_patches/dsfix.bat
6. reinstall in safe mode with networking

Nothing worked. Any ideas?
Thanks!
4 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

RE: Unable to Install

If i understand the issue correctly when you install you keep getting scores of access denied or failed to copy dll messages as it installs...
and then the entire installation fails.. Is that correct?
sophiedog
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Yes, that's it exactly. Thanks so much for helping!
sophiedog
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Problem solved! I went to Dell.com and they took over my computer remotely (so cool!) and fixed the problem. Apparently, there was a corrupted file from my first attempted download that was hidden and McAfee's tool did not find it on the many times we used it. Anyway, he deleted that file and I was able to install.

Thanks for your efforts to help me!!
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

glad that your issue got resolved but keep ... to me it seems that the hardrive itself has damage. rename a file or two might just be a work around...

If possible get the Dell techs to run a disk check and ensure that it was indeed just a bad file not a bad media ( hard drive)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community