cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dexter56
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Total Protection security centre

I would like to uninstall total Protection however, it does not show in Add/remove programs.

I don't think it ever installed properly because I cannot access the program at all.  I've run the preinstall, mcpr, downloaded and reinstalled (several times), but always the same thing....red X on everything... fail to install.

In my control panel> Security  it shows that McAfee firewall, antivirus is protecting system.

I've run stinger...in case there is a virus.

MVT says Security centre 10.5 failed to update.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix my installation or to unistall without using add/remove?

I'm running Windows XP Pro

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: Total Protection security centre

XP Pro 32 or 64-bit and is it up to date, i.e. SP2 or SP3?

If the program is not showing in Add or Remove then you should download the latest version of MCPR and run it, twice if necessary and reboot immmediately when it finishes.

The reason for corrupted installations can be many but usually the presence of other security software and/or malware or even a system that is out of date, or not synchronised with the time servers etc.

I suggest running the free version of THIS software after updating it to ensure no malware is present.

Dexter56
Former Member
Message 3 of 15

I'm running Windows XP pro 32.  Everything is up to date.   I've run the most recent mcpr; report attached and no infected files have been found.

I'm at a total loss as to what is happening but that being said, my knowledge is limited.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

It looks like MCPR is failing,, but why I can't tell.   I suggest contacting Technical Support Chat via the link under "Useful Links" above.   They can go into your machine to help.

This was the home product and not "Total Protection Service" (a.k.a. SaaS) that you had installed I assume?

Dexter56
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

Yes, this is the Home version, not Saas.  I will try the techs to see what they can find.   Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

OK, hope they help OK.  I could post the long registry removal process but it's very complicated.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

Have you contacted tech support people? I just checked the mcpr log, I don't see anything indifferent in there, I guess you can try to run MCPR and re-try the installation in Safe Mode with Networking,

SandyLynn
Former Member
Message 8 of 15

I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me with. I built a new computer but named it the same thing so that I could simply reload my Total Protection. Obviously, that didn't work out very well.  So, I deactivated the old one and renamed the new one so it could get the protection.  That worked great for about a week. Now I keep getting the message that "Your Software has been deactivated". I click on "Reactivate" and it shows that I have just reactivated it and it shows up in my list.  It then tells me to go to my notifications icon and right click and do the updates, which I have done that too.  NOTHING!  It still says it is deactivated.

I have tried to get hold of and do the chat with McAfee but all it wants to do is the Virtual Technicial, which shows that it is working perfectly.

HELP!!!!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

SandyLynn,

I recommend you simply phone Customer Service, it's a free call, as they deal with all account matters.

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call
1-866-622-3911. You may be asked for your registered email address and
order number. Telephone charges may apply.
Average contact length: 10  minutes
Estimated wait time: 5-10 minutes
Hours of Operation: Available daily, 6am-6pm Pacific

SandyLynn wrote:

I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me with. I built a new computer but named it the same thing so that I could simply reload my Total Protection. Obviously, that didn't work out very well.  So, I deactivated the old one and renamed the new one so it could get the protection.  That worked great for about a week. Now I keep getting the message that "Your Software has been deactivated". I click on "Reactivate" and it shows that I have just reactivated it and it shows up in my list.  It then tells me to go to my notifications icon and right click and do the updates, which I have done that too.  NOTHING!  It still says it is deactivated.

I have tried to get hold of and do the chat with McAfee but all it wants to do is the Virtual Technicial, which shows that it is working perfectly.

HELP!!!!!

Dexter56
Former Member
Message 10 of 15

The solution to installing the Total protection was to use MCPR and install in safe mode.  All was well after that once it updated.

Thanks for everyones help!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community