cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brentb
Former Member
Message 1 of 41

SystemGuards incompatible with Checkpoint VPN

I received an update to McAfee SecurityCenter and now when I run the Check Point SecuRemote Service client (latest version) my machine crashes and reboots (OS: XP home). After playing around with the issue, I found that disabling SystemGuards resolved the issue (no forced reboot). I just wanted to bring this issue to your awareness, although it seems you've had issues with SecuRemote in the past. While I understand that you are under no obligation to be compatible with every vpn client or other miscellaneous software product out there, please keep in mind that it is much easier for me to replace my antivirus software than it is for my company to change vpn clients.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Heck, I even saved off a minidump that may be of interest (I don't know because I haven't opened it up yet).

- b
40 Replies
brentb
Former Member
Message 2 of 41

RE: SystemGuards incompatible with Checkpoint VPN

Oh, and I'm using McAfee SecurityCenter build 9.0.286, VirusScan 13.0.218
Jubo
Contributor III
Message 3 of 41

Thank you for posting this. I'll bring it to the attention of the right people... Hopefully we'll hear something about it soon...
brentb
Former Member
Message 4 of 41

using SecurityCenter version 9 as well.
Jubo
Contributor III
Message 5 of 41

Thanks! What is suggested is that, since this was an automatic upgrade to SC9, you uninstall all McAfee software and use the MCPR removal tool and then, after the reboot reinstall the software again. This might do the trick... See this document: How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products ...
Asullyde
Former Member
Message 6 of 41

Sorry! I just posted a similar thread before i saw this one. i am having the same exact problem Turning off Systemguard fixes it but that's a hassle. I hope a fix arives soon or it will have to be goodbye to Mcafee.
Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 41

Vinod_r2 one of the T2 techs here has escalated this to the powers that be for review and fixing.
secondadonna
Former Member
Message 8 of 41

Same problem: Check point VPN

Just want to chime in that I'm having the exact same problem. I have Check Point VPN-1 Secure client installed, and ever since getting the latest McAfee security center upgrade, my laptop (running XP) crashes and reboots. If I uninstall the McAfee software it's fine. (Uninstalling and then re-installing the McAfee doesn't fix it; it makes the problem return.)
Asullyde
Former Member
Message 9 of 41

RE: Same problem: Check point VPN

Go to Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services and turn off Mcafee Systemguard service. Should solve the problem.
secondadonna
Former Member
Message 10 of 41

RE: Same problem: Check point VPN

That helped stop the continous reboots, so I can actually use the laptop. But now when I WANT to shut the computer down, I get the blue screen (fatal error), then it reboots itself. When it comes up, it says the system has receoved from a serious error. The Microsoft link says it's still related to virus software. Do I need to uninstall the McAfee software in order to shut down? Or is there something else I can do?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community