cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
delclemons
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

System & Hidden files setting changed after performing scan

On January 7, 2013 my Windows XP Home Edition system running McAfee Virusscan updated to version 12 build 12.1.253.   Antivirus build 16.1.144.

This morning, I performed the first full system scan using the new updated Security Center and Anti virus/anti spyware build.   Following the complete scan, I was informed of a potential adware program that I quarantined.   I then started to navigate to the McAfee Quarantine folder to delete the adware program from that folder and discovered that all my hidden files and extensions were once again hidden.   I am an advanced user and have my computers set up to display all hidden/system files and file extensions.  

This change was made after running the full system scan with the McAfee software.    The files were all visible earlier this morning prior to the scan as I was actually navigating through my C drive moving a couple of data files for a firmware update on my wireless router.  

Is this an intrusion of the McAfee software into the way I have my system configured?   Is McAfee assuming that all computer owners are novices and it is their responsibility to change user settings to make the system "more secure" by McAfee standards?    I was not even given a notification in the security report of this behavior or any recommendations!!!!!

I am VERY UNHAPPY that McAfee is reaching into my system to make changes such as this...........

12 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Re: System & Hidden files setting changed after performing scan

I have never seen that happen as I, like you, have my files and folders unhidden and it's never happened here.  

I'm not so sure that McAfee would do that so probably best you contact Technical Support regarding this.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Edit:  The only possibility is the Vulnerability Scanner in PC and Home Network Tools - I wonder if that has the capability of doing that but I really don't know.  Support would know.

If that is true then I feel it shouldn't be doing that and I agree with you.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/13 5:18:29 EST PM
keijodputt
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I've been actively using McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise for over 3 years and experienced exactly the same behavior as @delclemons. Regardless of Windows version (moved from XP to 7 both x86 & x64) and/or product version, after scanning or upgrading signatures the following folder options always get altered in the View tab:

-- Hidden files and folders radio selection goes to "Don't show hidden, files, folders, or drives

-- Hide extensions for know file types gets checked

-- Hide protected operating system files also gets a check-mark in it.

Every time I see my desktop.ini icons vanish from my desktop, I have to get into Folder Options from within Windows Explorer and un-check these.

Never had a 'hit' when googling this issue until now.

Best regards,

Keijo.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

VSE operates differently form VS Home and has many more controls.

Unfortunately we never heard back, since January, from these users as to whether or not they contacted Tech Support and whether or not my guess that it could have been Vulnerability Scanner, a totally different scanner, that was to blame.

In either case there have been upgrades and major updates to the software since then, except perhaps for those using McAfee supplied by 3rd parties such as Dell, their ISP etc., etc. as often those are updated/upgraded last of all due the that 3rd party delaying same.

keijodputt
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Sorry for the off-topic here, I'll take my issue to VSE forums, as I've seen another user experiencing this and also posted, one day after your reply here, that his user view customizations were wiped by VSE. The link to that thread (still unanswered) is here, for what it's worth: https://community.mcafee.com/message/269946

Best Regards,

Keijo!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 13

That's OK and I must say it's very interesting but wish I knew more about what exactly is going on here.   Now if similar things are happening in consumer and business products then the engine perhaps is to blame, but that's just speculation.

Good luck 😉

optimiszer
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

The same exact thing is happening on my Win7 laptop. I cannot believe that they are that lame. Since Win95 McAfee has always managed to be a huge pain in th a**. I have purposly not used Mcafee until it was provided by my ISP.

So, is there a solution????

Message was edited by: optimiszer on 2/3/14 11:46:38 AM CST
optimiszer
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

It's happening on my PC too. Totally sucks. Will look for different AV software unless there's a solution to this idiotic feature.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 13

On re-reading that first post from last year it strikes me that the OP was perhaps trying to delete quarantined files in the wrong manner.  You delete those from within the SecurityCenter > Navigation > Quarantined and Trusted Items.  The actual items and the folder they are in will be encrypted by the software to protect the system, therefore hidden.

I think your are best advised asking Technical Support ot explain the workings of the software,  They can do it far better than I can and it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/02/14 12:52:24 EST PM
optimiszer
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

I have not been able to fnd a support phone #. Do you have it, please?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community