cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eacrowe
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Stop McAfee Pop-ups offering tips or guidance

Over the last 2-3 weeks I've been getting McAfee Pop-ups in the bottom rights corner of my screen asking if I need help with some part of the program.  These pop-ups seem to be oriented to a new user.  I've had the security center installed for 2 years, and these pop-ups have started up out of the blue.  They sit on my screen until I manually choose an option to turn each one off.  Then it or another pop-up will occur a couple of hours later.

Does anyone know how to turn these off for good?

I tried McAfee support and the person ignored what I was trying to tell him, "checked" my computer to see if the program was up to date and then told me there was nothing wrong - sigh!

So I'm asking users how they have fixed this.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Stop McAfee Pop-ups offering tips or guidance

Check in your program list if you have McAfee Security Scan Plus installed.  If so uninstall it.   It is offered as  a sales guide with many other varieties of software but especially  Adobe products and you may have overlooked that option when updating or installing something.

Faling that we need more information.  Is your software bought directly from McAfee or provided by a 3rd party?

eacrowe
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

No sign of McAfee Security Scan Plus. 

The software was originally installed on the computer by Dell.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

I know this sounds like a lame excuse but we have found that Dell and other 3rd party suppliers use the software for their own purposes in the form of popups, however, they shouldn't be occurring very frequently.  Can you post a screenshot of the next one you see please?

Wilhelmus
Contributor II
Message 5 of 5

i have the same problem it just since 2 weeks about starts with pop ups like am save scans keep me protected etc... i got everything unmarked so i do not get pop ups it is really annoying .... i have Mcafee now for over 10 years..  Straight from Mcafee so not by third party .. Do not know why  Mcafee suddenly likes to start being pushy please change back whatever you guys changed

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community