cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dennis1947
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Security Center says that I am not protected.

Everytime I turn on my computer, my McAfee Security Center says that I am not protected and I have to click on "Fix" to correct the problem.
It says that the problem is that my anti-spam service is not running. And it says the problem is in my email and IM needs attention.
Do you know what I can do to fix this problem? Thanks.
7 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

RE: Security Center says that I am not protected.

"Hi,
Please confirm the following,
What is the computer’s operating system?
What is computer’s Internet connection (DSL, Cable. .. )?
Do you have any other antivirus installed on the computer ?
dennis1947
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Security Center says that I am not protected.

Hi,
I have Windows XP. I have dial-up for an internet connection. And I don't have any other anti-virus program.
Thanks.
Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Re: Security Center says that I am not protected.

Hi dennis,

If you are still facing the issue, please confirm the following;

Have you made any recent changes for the computer?

Run the mcafee virtual technician from the following link http://mvt.mcafee.com and post me with the session id.

Regards,

Dinesh K

rogerfromco
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I'm having the same problem as the OP on my wife's laptop.  We have Windows XP SP3, a cable modem, and no other virus protection programs.  Have McAfee Security Center 9.15.  Last update was 11/11/09 and last scan was 11/7/09 - no infected files.

After this started I saw it might be an incompatibility with Windows Defender so I uninstalled it but no help there.

I'm running Microsoft Maliscious Software Removal Tool and just ran MVT - Session ID was 21813486 - said it found 2 problems and fixed one.  The one that couldn't be fixed was 1 service that wasn't running.

Message was edited by: rogerfromco on 11/11/09 9:58 PM
CopyRon
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

Could you tell us what Email software and which IM you are using?

rogerfromco
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Don't use any IM programs.  E-mail on that machine is purely web based - no Outlook, Lotus, etc.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Try the following steps.

1.   Check & delete if you have any third party security softwares in control panel , or third party security software folders in C:/program files or common files,

2.   Start – run >> then type services.msc –>  It will open up the Services (Local) window,

3.   The ‘start up type’ for all the mcafee services in the list should be automatic, if not double click on the service which is not in automatic & change the start up type to automatic.,

4.   Click recovery tab (at the top) change all the three failures to “restart the service” click Apply & Ok ,

5.   Close all open programs & restart the computer,

6.   Open security center & check for updates.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Mcafee Online community Moderator

on 11/17/09 6:16 AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community