Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dingdong
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

SC not Opening after disabling some services

Hi All,

Just yesterday, I disabled certain unnecessary services in comp with XP Pro. Now, the MacAfee (Total protection 2009) System tray icon has gone missing and the Security console do not open, when I try to open it from the Start menu.

Please note that MacAfee do start-up after booting. The system tray icon appears for a few seconds but after that it disappears. All MacAfee related services are running in the Task Manager; only thing is that the console is not opening.

I disabled a number of services yesterday following an online manual. My computer is running perfectly after that; apart from this abnormal behavior of McAfee.

Any ideas which service is responsible for keeping the Security Center running?
I think I should enable it. I do not want to enable all the services because they waste a lot of RAM.

:confused::confused:
5 Replies
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

RE: SC not Opening after disabling some services

It's generally not recommended to start tweaking your system that way (there is very little to be gained). Because of things like this. McAfee is tightly integrated with the operating system, and there is no way to be sure that these tweaks will not affect McAfee or any other software for that matter, and even if you got it right now that doesn't mean you will not encounter a similar problem in the future.

But if you don't want to set your services back to the way they were:
Riddlez
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Generally, it's not recommended to tweak your services. Even if you'd get it working now, it doesn't mean it will stay that way. Leave that to the pros.

McAfee is tightly integrated with the operating system, so it's not strange that this causes problems.

Disabling services generally frees up very little RAM or CPU usage. Especially compared to that total protection thing !

But if you want to do it anyway, try MSCONFIG, by enabling certain services you may find out which ones are necesary.

I'm not sure if there is any use in disabling services. Another choice is setting them to manual (as opposed to automatic), which would mean the services run only if/when nessecary.

If it turns out that what you've been doing has permanently corrupted your installation, you can uninstall with the MCPR tool and reinstall.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

They may appear to be using resources but actually are not until they actually kick into action. Don't stop anything in your services, that is one guaranteed way to screw up your system. The other way is to use any kind of registry cleaners, tweaks etc.

They have no dependencies so you should just start all of them, except for Scanner (unless running at the time).
dingdong
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

The problem was with:

"DCOM Server Process Launcher" Windows XP Process. I must be enabled.

I am putting this information here, in case somebody needs this in future.

Regards,

DD:p happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Good, thanks for posting.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community