cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike66
Former Member
Message 141 of 150

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

Hi Thomas: My problem has slowed to a crawl,only a couple of warning pop-ups lately,and I have decided to live with it as it is now.If I do another uninstall,reinstall,it would be the third time.As well,the warnings I was getting were false positives.Glad you fixed your problem.

warriorfullight
Contributor
Message 142 of 150

This problem happened to me once, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software a few times until finally fixed it automatically. Though not sure what had happened back then.

Message was edited by: warriorfullight on 12/17/11 6:46:20 AM CST
zbd
Former Member
Message 143 of 150

This might be what i need to try.  I've already had two of the McAfee 'experts' on my system to resolve it.  First one run something in addition to MVT and then reported it fixed (it was, for about 24 hrs).  The second then uninstalled McAfee completely and was unable to re-install it leaving my system vulnerable (thanks, McAfee).   Needless to say i phoned up and complained (that was a chore in itself).   The next person(s) i spoke to were supposed to be emailling my with links for sorting the issue and a new download.   6hours later i'm still waiting. 

I've re-downloaded McAfee, but real-time scanning is still switching itself off.

I've also noticed a downgrade in system performance, but no virus, etc found

I'm going to try uninstalling and re-installing (and keeping my fingers crossed), but starting to think i should give up on McAfee as i'm losing confidence that i'm actually protected.

astor
Contributor II
Message 144 of 150

Also make sure you have the latest Windows patches and fixes.  If you still can't get it to work and McAfee can't figure it out in a reasonable time (ie, less than a few days) then try another anti-virus program.  If it works then stick to it.  No point wasting your time with a solution that doesn't work for you, regardless of whether your PC is at fault or not.  If you have the inclination and time you could re-install you operating system but we all know how time consuming and painful that is.  I rather leave it as is provided you don't have other problems with your PC, and move to another AV solution that works for you.

Message was edited by: astor on 27/12/11 4:29:28 PM
mike66
Former Member
Message 145 of 150

zbd: Did you check to see if real time scanning was really off? In my case,it was a false positive.Next time you get the popup warning that your computer is at risk ( assuming that is whet you see in your case),open the Mcafee Security Center and check the status of real time scanning.

Message was edited by: mike66 on 12/27/11 4:55:12 PM CST
mike66
Former Member
Message 146 of 150

Just had an interesting experience. When I got home,a techie from my ISP called,following up on my complaint about Mcafee.He took remote control of my PC,and worked on it for about an hour,uninstalling any remnents of my previous AV,F-secure,running a Malwarebytes scan,and uninstalling/reinstalling Mcafee.He said he would call on Jan 2/12 to see if the problem had be resolved.Well,guess what? About 10 minutes after he hung up,the Mcafee warning popped up again! I again opened the Mcafee Security Center,and found that the Real Time Scanning was on,even though I got that Mcafee warning.I didn't have the heart to call him and tell him.

Message was edited by: mike66 on 12/31/11 11:28:51 AM CST
james96744
Former Member
Message 147 of 150

fixed it without messing with any settings in mcafee, as not to mess up vital settings on accident

Win XP :To open Services, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.

~windows 7 :

Start

Control Panel

Search Box "Administrative Tools"

Click Services

In services scroll down to the cluster of "McAfee Services"

there will be 3-5 disabled due to imidiate shutdows; system errors; accidental diablement

on the services that say "Disabled" to the right of the service you will need to:

Right click; Properties

in general settings there will be a box that says "Startup Type"

Click that box & scroll down & click "Automatic"

*Repeat with all McAfee services that are "Disabled"

--After you re-enable all services to automatic restart your comp and everything should be back to how it should be

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 148 of 150

To add something here....avoid using registry cleaners/optimizers as this could feasibly be one of the results of using those.

mike66
Former Member
Message 149 of 150

All I know, is before Mcafee was shoved down my throat by my ISP,they used F-Secure,which happily co-existed with CCleaner,and never gave me grief.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 150 of 150

CCleaner is fine in certain circumstances but you have to take extra care how it is used. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community