cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike66
Former Member
Message 131 of 150

Re: Real time scanning keeps turning off and virtual tech cant fix

I've run the oas disabled twice now,the second time I rebooted as suggested.Today,when I turned on my machine,I got the warning popup again.If anybody thinks of anything else,please let me know..

Peacekeeper
Message 132 of 150

You have done all that is usually needed bar checking for malware. Go to

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Run both stingers (thery need redownloading to get new versions.)

Run getsusp with your email addy added to the preferences so they can contact you and then both Malwarebytes (do not accept free test of full version as it clashes with Mcafee) and Super antispyware to be sure something loaded is not causing this.

Then contact tech support free call (useful links tab above) and ask for their thoughts explain what already done. They really should escalate you to a higher tech level as what I suggested are the normal suggestions.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/11/11 12:58:46 PM
mike66
Former Member
Message 133 of 150

Thanks,I will try these out.

mike66
Former Member
Message 134 of 150

Okay,I ran the getsusp and stingers. Getsusp thought two freeware programs I love are "suspicious",so I have been running my computer with these two items not loaded.Result: The rate of Mcafee warning pop-ups has gone way down.I have only had two warnings since booting my machine this afternoon,down from > 10 warnings a day. For those who are interested,the freeware apps are: PretonSaver Inksaver (Home Edition) and Taskbar Activate. After setting these programs to not load on startup,I also cleaned any registry entries referring to them with Ccleaner. I wonder if I uninstall these programs I could completely fix this issue.

Peacekeeper
Message 135 of 150

Hmm registry cleaners sometime and this is proven on this forum delete some mcafee registry keys . I wonder if this might be the cause. That said I would email Mcafee the relevant exe files and request they be white listed.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

Reply to their reply to the email and request they review the detection of the files and whitelist them.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/11/11 3:33:00 PM
mike66
Former Member
Message 136 of 150

Thanks,I will forward a request to Mcafee.Ccleaner always prompts users to backup registry cleanups just in case.I noticed right away that after I ran Ccleaner,my system runs noticably faster.BTW,the Mcafee problem showed up immediately after I installed it.Again,I'd like to say I never had like issues with F-Secure,and I am not happy with my ISP's decision to switch to Mcafee.I first used Ccleaner quite a while after I installed Mcafee.I  will post updates as they become available.

Message was edited by: mike66 on 11/24/11 11:02:52 PM CST
mike66
Former Member
Message 137 of 150

I am happy to report that the popup warnings seem to have been false positives.I checked the status of Real Time Scanning by opening the Mcafee SecurityCenter ( see image attached) before clicking on the check status button and found it was on. I guess the problem now is how to stop these false warnings.

Real time scanning.jpg

Message was edited by: mike66 on 12/2/11 7:47:54 PM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 138 of 150

Will ask

Peacekeeper
Message 139 of 150

CCleaner has been known to strip out some Mcafee registry keys as I mentioned above. I would uninstall via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Reinstall from your account that will repair the keys.

tcasey1678
Former Member
Message 140 of 150

Ok I have had the same problem I had Vista Internet Scanner i followed the delete info i got from some other places and then did a system restore after the restore i got the pop-up that real time scanner is turned off every time i turned it on it would turn back off i was reading some of the original posts and found on that sayed run the updater for McAfee and it fixed it for them well i did the same thing and it fixed my problem the only thing i can figure out is some of the update files get removed by system restore and the core does not get rolled back so it says the files should be there that are not so it wont stay on and run after the update the files are back and it works fine just a suggestion i thought i give you folks about the problem

Thomas

Message was edited by: tcasey1678 on 12/12/11 5:08:58 PM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community