cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zeether
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Real time scanning keeps removing a file I restored as trusted

McAfee has been continually removing a game's .exe file that is being parsed as a trojan (false positive) via real time scanning, and I have had to turn real time scanning off and restore the file. I cannot leave real time scanning on while trying to play the game because the .exe is constantly being removed. I CANNOT send the .exe to McAfee because it's too big, and the program should know that the file is trusted when I restore it. Is there any way for this file to stop being detected by the real time scanning or do I have to leave it off every time I play the game?

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Real time scanning keeps removing a file I restored as trusted

Is it an 'Artemis" detection?  If so I will move this to that area if you post the number it gives.

Meanwhile there are other things you can do:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/01/13 1:27:31 EST PM
zeether
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

It is not Artemis, it's a trojan called "PWS-Zbot.gen.asm". I will submit the file to McAfee via email like in the support link.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

The other way would be to use GetSusp as that doesn't then require that you zip it and password-protect it, but remember to put your email in Preferences first or else they wont get back to you.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

By the way I should have added that  you can only Trust something that is identified as a PUP or Possibly Unwanted Program.   It used to be that you could trust anything, and that facility still exists in the Enterprise/Business software, but they took it away from consumers saying too many people would abuse it.  We've been asking for it ever since to no avail I'm afraid.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community