cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WheelHouse
Contributor II
Message 1 of 7

Quarantined item. is it danergous or safe? How do I tell?

Hi, Just got a new laptop and it came with a trial version of McAfee Live Safe. Windows 10 is updated and McAfee Live safe is also updated.

Ive been running fine for 3 weeks and all of a suddend I notice theres a file in the Quarantined area of the McAfee safe. The file is under  THREAT -Real Protect-EC.gen! 7E4C1AFC2A39  STAUS- Detected.

How do I know if this file is dangerous of safe? I've run full scans with McAff safe and MS Windows defender and nothing is found.  Thanks for any advise you can offer.

6 Replies
WheelHouse
Contributor II
Message 2 of 7

Re: Quarantined item. is it danergous or safe? How do I tell?

I tried searching for info on Real protect EC-Gen! and a site came up with this -  "

RealProtect.exe McAfee Real Protect McAfee, Inc.

This is a setup program which is used to install the application. The file has been seen being downloaded from downloadcenter.mcafee.com.

https://www.reasoncoresecurity.com/realprotect.exe-1123d0e37f5ec302b81b5660828ab2b7517dde4c.aspx

So now im really confussed? Has this issue come with the updates from McAffee? I have RealProtect.exe installed on my PC. I scan it and McAffee and windows defender say its safe. Im really confussed now.  Should I try and remove Realprotect.exe from my laptop? Any advise  would be great to clear this up. Thanks

WheelHouse
Contributor II
Message 3 of 7

Ive been searching info about Real Protect-EC Gen! and other websites are saying its from McAffee itself and how to remove it. Im really confussed. I have Realprotect.exe installed on my Laptop. Is it safe or dangerous? Ive scanned the file and McAfee & windows defender say its safe. I can post a link to the other web site where I found the information if you need that information. Not sure if i'm allowed otherwise.

RealProtect.exe McAfee Real Protect McAfee, Inc.

This is a setup program which is used to install the application. The file has been seen being downloaded from downloadcenter.mcafee.com.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

---

--I assume by "McAfee Safe" you mean "McAfee Livesafe"?  or is it "Safe Family"?

First download GetSusp to your desktop from HERE.

In any case it's possible that the file is incorrectly diagnosed as a threat.   In the Quarantine Folder is there a Restore button?     If there is, turn off Real-time Protection temporarily in main settings and then Restore the item.

Then run GetSusp but when it's on it's main page, before you start it make sure you enter your email address in Settings/Preferences, so McAfee Labs can get back to you.

Then turn Real-Time Protection back on and I assume it will then find that file eventually and Quarantine it.   Wait for the lab report, can take 2 weeks sometimes so you have to be patient with them as they are so busy.   Sometimes they are very quick, so hope that is the case. If you don't see the email remember to check your Junk Mail or Spam folders.

WheelHouse
Contributor II
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for reply. Yes I mean McAfee Livesafe. I've edit my post now to correct that. Thanks for the info
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 7

I thought so, thanks 😉
katznhat
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I have 5 items in quarantine that are marked as:

Real Protect-EC1E6929F5116A3, Real Protect-EC1B36300456D1F, Real Protect-EC105B6BE7E2291,

REAL  PROTECT-EC105B6BE7E2291, and Real Protect-EC16958B11D50E8. One is listed twice.

Are these the same as he mentions above? Mine are EC- and a number, not exe., though. I think one may be from my weather download I have as it says local\temp\tmp and a number. One says something about automaticdestinations,as well as SWSETUP, and something says is path of: c:\part of my email\ and then "AppData\Local\RDJPR#PrimeUpdate" whatever these are.

Thank you for letting me know IF these are the same thing as Wheel House mentions above. Be gentle with me,and speak in simple, very plain, layman's terms, please, as I'm a "Techno-Idiot"! For real.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community