cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NYR2000
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Outlook 2007 startup issue

Hello. After installing McAfee Total Protection last week, I encountered an issue with Outlook 2007. Now every time I start Outlook, it takes about 5 minutes to start. Then, after startup, it works fine, I can download and check all my emails with no problems.

I tried all solutions that I was able to find online: disabling all Outlook add-ins, disabling McAfee Spam and E-mail protection, didn't work. Then I removed both of my data files, and tried to open empty Outlook ( by empty I mean with no mail accounts and no data files ) - same thing. I opened it in safe mode, no result. I even uninstalled Outlook 2007, then restarted my computer and installed it again, same thing. I have Windows XP.

Your help is greatly appreciated in advance, hoping that some miraculous patch will solve this issue, :).null
14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

RE: Outlook 2007 startup issue

Are you by any chance storing emails in your inbox? I don't use Outlook myself but have read many posts from people who do and this has often been the cause of a slow start up.
Spamkiller, not to mention VirusScan, scan the inbox every time you open the email client.
I've read on many Windows Help groups that it's unwise to use the default folders for storing emails. Create new folders for this purpose and leave the Inbox empty if at all possible. This goes for any email client whether it be Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail or...whatever.
Just a thought.
By the way XP is....SP...what? If you haven't yet installed SP3 there's help with that here: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=220807
Soon all updates from Microsoft will depend on it being installed.
NYR2000
Former Member
Message 3 of 15

Thank you for your reply. What I did is remove all data files at all, so I don't have any emails there. It's a blank Outlook. No emails. No mail accounts. All add-ins disabled. Running in safe mode. And even in this case it takes about 5 minutes to start.

I have SP2 installed.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

Let me flag this issue.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 15

You say you only installed McAfee last week. What other software did you have previously?
NYR2000
Former Member
Message 6 of 15

symantec norton Internet security 2005, but I had no issues withat software
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 15

Did you use the Norton Removal Tool? All I can suggest is run it again, even in Safe Mode as there may be leftover remnants of Norton interefering.

I have flagged this issue.
NYR2000
Former Member
Message 8 of 15

Just did, Norton doesn't seem to be the problem.
Once again, thank you for your assistance.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

Hopefully someone will give me a hand here. Not easy getting help on a weekend. Meanwhile there is always the 24/7 Tech. Support Chat line linked in my signature.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

I am so sorry but it's taken this long for anyone to give me a hand with this. Can you post your basic system properties please...HDD space, RAM, system, service pack etc etc.

Have you tried uninstalling McAfee to see if the issue goes away?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community