Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moicapot
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Need Info on Ridding Computer of Intruder

Jump to solution

I received a warning several evenings ago that a "potentially dangerous computer" was trying to attach itself to my network (this is parahrased as I didn't retain the screen long enough to record it). I did access my McAfee network screen, locate the intruder computer & designate it as a "foe" (not friend). I am assured by McAfee that I will be notified each time it connects to the network.

HELP! I don't want it ever to connect to my network. How can I get rid of it? I don't think McAfee should have allowed it to attach it to my network. I have 3 firewalls to the best of my knowledge -- Windows, router, & McAfee and yet this "intruder" somehow got through and attached itself. I have used the McAfee Virtual Technician and it found no problems. I would contact McAfee but I can't stand the hours of "chatting" and getting nowhere and I don't think I should have to pay to speak to a technician since I have paid for protection already. Thank you, anyone who can help. Or if you can guide me to any published info on this problem.

This is the first time I am participating in a discussion group so pardon my lack of sophistication regarding the tagging.

Frightened User

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Re: Need Info on Ridding Computer of Intruder

Jump to solution

Actually there is a slight error there..  when it detects a machine it says that it is connecting to the network not to your machine. That's like an appliance being switched on the kitchen when you are in the next room, you are connected...sort of.  Your firewall is shutting out anything on that network that you haven't specifically allowed in or allowed file sharing with (for instance).

On the network map if you click on any of the connecting lines you will see a choice at the bottom right to stop trusting the network.    If you are not using a network, i.e. connecting to other machines, then you could do that and then you wont even have to worry about the warnings let alone anyone possibly connecting to your machine.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Anyone marked as an Intruder is not going to get into your machine so you have no need to worry.   If you do not use a network at all you may choose to not trust the network at all, which will disable any kind of detection.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/12/09 7:31:15 EST AM
moicapot
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Dear Ex-Brit,

Thank you for responding. I still need a little more information.

YOU SAID: Anyone marked as an Intruder is not going to get into your machine so you have no need to worry. 

QUESTION: When McAfee advises you that the computer marked as an Intruder has connected to your machine, doesn't that mean that they have got into my machine and can access any file? I worked 12 hours today on my machine and at about 6:05 pm, a warning came up from McAfee saying the Intruder had connected. I really didn't know what to do so I closed all my programs and shut down. After about 10 minutes, I turned on the computer again. There was a warning saying I wasn't full protected (Computer & Files) so I "fixed" that. I may be fully protected but what happens if I take a lunch or bathroom break and this warning comes up again saying that this intruder has connected again & I am not around to to "fix" the protection that has been turned off. Is there not some way this intruder can be detached & disconnected? It is very worrisome to me.

YOU SAID: If you do not use a network at all you may choose to not trust the network at all, which will disable any kind of detection.

QUESTION: Could you explain what you mean here in layman's language. I am rather a novice. I don't really have a network but I am wireless in case the Grandchildren bring their laptops or notebooks over to use. Thanks for your help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Actually there is a slight error there..  when it detects a machine it says that it is connecting to the network not to your machine. That's like an appliance being switched on the kitchen when you are in the next room, you are connected...sort of.  Your firewall is shutting out anything on that network that you haven't specifically allowed in or allowed file sharing with (for instance).

On the network map if you click on any of the connecting lines you will see a choice at the bottom right to stop trusting the network.    If you are not using a network, i.e. connecting to other machines, then you could do that and then you wont even have to worry about the warnings let alone anyone possibly connecting to your machine.

moicapot
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Thank you, Ex_Brit,

Your answers to my last questions have reassured me. I appreciate your help. Tell me am I supposed to do something about the voting buttons or has that been taken care of?

moicapot

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

Not sure because this format is new to me - it's only been a few weeks since we moved to it, but I would imagine if you like a reply you vote it up, but not too sure what it achieves in the end.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/12/09 7:44:46 EST PM
lbeck
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks to this thread.  I considered asking my question but I think it is so similar to what is posted here I will just tag along.

I have a similar problem in that I just this evening began receiving warnings about friend or foe.  I marked the notification as "Intruder" but it continues to come up every hour or so.  Based on what I read here there is not a possibility that my computer network is being violated.  Correct??  Is there something that I need to do other than mark the unknown IP as Intruder?

My assumption is that a neighbor or someone within the reach of my wireless network is clicking on my WEP network but can't get on it.  Correct??

Let me know what's going on (I just got another notification of an intruder trying to connect).

Message was edited by: lbeck on 3/4/10 11:20:59 PM GMT-05:00
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Your assumptions are correct.  No need to worry.  Also, for anyone not using a network just simply click "Don't Trust This Network" and the pop-ups will cease.

rebot
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

KitchenStrategic is dedicated to enabling you to create remarkable eating experiences because we firmly think that the kitchen is the center of every home. With a wealth of recipes, cooking advice, and kitchen tricks to help you become an even better chef, our website is a veritable gold mine of information.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community