cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Mcsvhost.exe shutdown error again

Hi, I was just wondering what should I do if I am getting the mcsvhost.exe shutdown error?  The one about the memory can't be referenced or written.  I have seen this discussion https://community.mcafee.com/thread/21993?start=0&tstart=0 and all I can say is that as of right now my Security Center version is passed 10.5.195 and so is my firewall version.

3 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: Mcsvhost.exe shutdown error again

Some McAfee users have reported an error with the McSvcHost service during computer shutdown. The error is displayed for a few seconds, then shutdown continues normally.

NOTE: No data is lost or damaged by this error.

A software update to resolve this issue is currently being released as part of a phased distribution. You can see if you have the update by:

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
  2. Click Navigation in the top right corner.
  3. Click About.
  4. If you have the software update, your Personal Firewall version will be 11.5.135 (or higher).

If you have Personal Firewall version 11.5.135 (or higher), and still experience this issue, follow the steps below.

Step 1 - Disable Access Protection

2. Click Navigation.
  3. Select General Settings and Alerts.
  4. Open the Access Protection drawer.
  5. Deselect Use Access Protection.
  6. Close SecurityCenter.

Step 2 - Empty the Hackerwatch Data folder

1. Navigate to the following folder:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\HackerWatch\data
    Windows Vista / 7: C:\ProgramData\McAfee\HackerWatch\Data
  2. Delete all the files inside the Data folder.
  3. Restart your computer.

Step 3 - Enable Access Protection

2. Click Navigation.
  3. Select General Settings and Alerts.
  4. Open the Access Protection drawer.
  5. Select Use Access Protection.
  6. Close SecurityCenter.

theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Is this the only way to fix this error? And yes my firewall is higher than version 11.5.135.  I kinda don't want to mess with the Acess Protection option and can't I empty the files inside the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\HackerWatch\data folder without turning off the access protection?

paulmarshall
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

I have an issue with McsvHost.exe

It takes up most of my memory throughout the day. I have Version 11.5 and you mention 11.5.135 or higher is needed. Please advise how I get the newest version since I have my setting on automatic updates.

Thanks,

Paul

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community