Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Mcafee update problem?

Jump to solution

I was wondering about the updates recently.Over the last few weeks it seems that McAfee will not update.I have been receiving my updates.But only at night after doing it manually or by running virtual tech.Can anyone tell me if the updates are being released later?I am in eastern standard time U.S.

A bit curious,as I just tried to manually update and received nothing.Then ran virtual tech and had 1 problem (dat update).I have not recieved an update in the daytime in a while.                                             Thanks newjack

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: Mcafee update problem?

Jump to solution

The DAT that MVT checks is the latest one posted, but whether or not it is released to all servers yet is another matter, that takes time so don't think something is wrong simply because it says differently from what your SecurityCenter says.   I have updates set to automatic so never know when they come in as it happens silently.  It happens daily except on some public holidays such as Christmas Day, new year's Day etc., and it can happen at any time of the day or night.

Mine reads 6223 which is yesterday's date, and I am not worried.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

The DAT that MVT checks is the latest one posted, but whether or not it is released to all servers yet is another matter, that takes time so don't think something is wrong simply because it says differently from what your SecurityCenter says.   I have updates set to automatic so never know when they come in as it happens silently.  It happens daily except on some public holidays such as Christmas Day, new year's Day etc., and it can happen at any time of the day or night.

Mine reads 6223 which is yesterday's date, and I am not worried.

deepu01
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

For the update issue try this link :   http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MSCPRXFIX.exe.

after running this link try to restart the computer and check for the DAT Version

Thanks,

Deepu.

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi EX-Brit, I also have mine to auto update.Maybe i didnt phrase my question properly.Is it true that the system has to be idle to receive the auto update?Basically I use the computer when i have the time.So when I am on the computer,i am obviously doing something.Then I shut it down.During the time that i use it.I have not received updates.So,in the evening I manually update because I have not been receiving during the day.Just wondering,at what point does the auto update kick in?                                          Thanks for your time,newjack

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

It's supposed to kick in after the CPU has been quiet (less than 10%) for 10 minutes, but there seems to be issues with either that threshold or the whole ('Smart Timer' as the call it) concept and it is being looked at as we speak.

I'm sure they'll issue a patch soon, but until then all we can do is manually update.   This issue effects not only updating but scheduled scans as well.

newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

O.k ,I thought i saw the 10min or 10%cpu somewhere.As always,thanks for your time.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

You're welcome.

rrogers
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

(this) is an old Thread...but, it's the closest I've found as pertains to my concern: It's  now nearly 4 P.M. in Oklahoma (Monday) and it's been nearly 72 Hours since any kind of VirusProtect Update. I tried  manually;

the Response says "YourProgramsAreUpToDate". Whoa...I'm not used to going that long..

Am I the only one?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

rrogers wrote:

(this) is an old Thread...but, it's the closest I've found as pertains to my concern: It's  now nearly 4 P.M. in Oklahoma (Monday) and it's been nearly 72 Hours since any kind of VirusProtect Update. I tried  manually;

the Response says "YourProgramsAreUpToDate". Whoa...I'm not used to going that long..

Am I the only one?

The subject may be the same but the 2011 software has long since become obsolete.   Run the Virtual Technician and see if it finds and fixes any issues.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

The software doesn't even update the same way now.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/12/13 5:52:06 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community