cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calculus
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Mcafee Security Center hangs and can't be uninstalled

I have Mcafee Security Cetner 2009 installed on one of my computers (XP). Lately, in task manager, I can see "mcagent.exe" takes 90% CPU time and hangs there. If I end it , it will comes right back. So I try to uninstall Mcafeee Security Center by doing the following:

1.Go to Services, disable all Mcafee related services. The only one I can't disable is "Mcafee Realtime Scanner".

2.Reboot machine, this time, "mcagent.exe" does not come up.

3.Going to Control Panel->Add/Remove program. However, after I click "Remove", no UI comes up, in task manager, I can see the uninstall program takes 90% CPU and hangs there.

4.Download the removal tool from: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe , then run it, the result is the same, MCPR.exe takes high CPU and hangs there.

5.Also tried the original install CD, click "install.exe", it also takes high CPU and hangs there.

Please help me to figure out how to uninstall Mcafee Security Center. Suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

Message was edited by: calculus on 1/25/10 1:29:00 PM CST
4 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: Mcafee Security Center hangs and can't be uninstalled

Hi Calculus,

Can you provide some more information on this so that we could help you better;

What is the operating system we use ?

What is the type of internet connection ? (dsl/wireless)

How old is the computer?

Was the computer infected with any malware ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

calculus
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

This is a HP laptop about 3 years old. OS is Windows XP. Internet connection is DSL. As for if the computer is infected, well, I installed Mcafee Security Cetner on it last September, before this problem happened, it doesn't report any infection.

I tried to install other anti-virus software, but since Mcafee can't be uninstalled, the installation can't go on.

To your knowledge, is there any other software that may have conflict or trigger this high CPU usage from Mcafee Security Center? Now it seems that it prevents any install/uninstall problem for Mcafee from running. Anyway to get around it?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: calculus on 1/25/10 2:48:57 PM CST
Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

Please try the following steps :

Restart the computer and start tapping F8 key, from the windows advanced boot menu select safe mode with networking.

Check and delete mcafee folders from C:/program files & common files.

Run the removal tool again from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe   and restart the computer , the removal should go on fine.

Please report back if you have any problems on the same.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Oliver360
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

While uninstalling McAfee, this is a very common problem. McAfee uninstalls might become stuck for a variety of reasons. We've already covered various themes in which we've explored a variety of concerns related to removing McAfee. Let's get this party started.

Below are some solutions to fix McAfee uninstall stuck

• You can use the first method to navigate to the control panel from the Start menu by following the regular approach.
  • Select Programs and Features from the drop-down menu. After that, you'll get a list of all the removable programs that have been installed on your computer.
  • Uninstall McAfee by finding it and clicking on it.
  • Select the option to delete all existing files associated with it as well.
  • The user should also delete the web adviser tool, either with the anti-virus program or individually.
  • Then double-check to see if the software has been uninstalled.

IF you still facing the same issue call the McAfee support team for instant help and guide

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community