Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 51

Re: Mcafee Internet Security - can't check for updates

Jump to solution

et_tu_brute wrote:

What astonishes me is the complete and absolute lack of communication by McAfee on this issue to the end user... you and me.  I had to google to several times befolre I came across this thread.

The questions I would like to know and anwser to would be this.

1. At what point did McAfee become aware of this issue.

2. It would appear to me that this issue is about 2 days old, however I am on GMT+10 hours, so the issue may probably be older.

3. Why  is it that the moderators in this forum have been fed to the wolves in terms of coming up with a possible fix to this issue? When will McAfee officially enter the forum with an explanation, a fix, and an apology?

4. At what point do McAfee estimate they will have an ACTUAL fix to this issue? I would hate to be a sytems administrator who would be expected to Uninstal McAfee, run the removal tools, then re-install across several machines.... and then test every machine to ensure McAfee is installed & operating correctly.

5. I have dumped McAfee a couple times before over the last decade because of poor performance issues and I won't hesitate to do it again. Life is too short to be McAfee's guinea pig because that neglect to ensure the updates etc. are fully tested before they are released.

Finally, thank you to the moderators for at least trying to man the fort in the absence of McAfee.

Time to call it quits for tonight.  Tomorrow ether pigs will fly or McAfee will have found a workable fix that does't require their old cop-out of uninstall and re-install. That mantra has grown pretty thin by now surely.

It happened at a weekend when nobody but basic technicians would be around.   Also McAfee rarely if ever emails its customers.  In the past when it has its been accused of spamming people, so they stopped.

The problem was already sorted out yesterday by late afternoon (Eastern time zone, Canada) and posted in the FAQ's and big red alert on the support page too much earlier than I was aware there was even a problem in the first place.

In answer to your questions:

1.  How would we know, they don't tell us that information, this forum is staffed mainly by volunteers - all I know is it was a customer who pointed out the FAQ to me in the first place, around lunchtime yesterday.

2.  I don't think it's that old - DAT 6807 was the bad one I think and I am only in 6809, 6808 having been skipped.

3.  Once again, it was the weekend.  However late yesterday afternoon management did take over.  The announcement at the top of the Home section was posted then.  So I assume support alerted them.

4.  Again time is unknown but the fix FAQ was in place almost immediately.

5.  They are extensively tested but problems can sometimes slip through.   It's unfortunate but true.   If you read other software forums the same questions are asked there.

Thanks for the kind words for the Moderators and good luck 😉

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/08/12 2:16:21 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 51

Jump to solution

cloudy wrote:

Thank you, I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and it's all fixed I now have 6809 and the scan and updates are working fine.

Glad you are OK now 😉

kred65
Former Member
Message 23 of 51

Jump to solution

Hello -  here is my situation:

dat6809 uploaded

MVT checked - no problems

McAfee can check for updates & scan with no problem

Internet connectivity - no problem

HOWEVER, I still receive the little box that states Windows Error that said that my McAfee Updater has closed. It pops up after I bring my computer out hibernation.

Any thoughts.... again EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE since I downloaded the dat6809 file yesterday.

Message was edited by: kred65 on 20/08/12 13:56:01 CDT

on 20/08/12 14:06:15 CDT
kred65
Former Member
Message 24 of 51

Jump to solution

The link for posted in the FAQs does NOT work. The link states:

The Document ID you entered was not recognized in our system. Please type the Document ID again, and make sure to use the correct prefix.

• Technical Support documents use the prefix TS. For example, TS100376. To search for a specific document, navigate using the link at the top of the page. Click FAQs and Search on the left, and then click Proceed to Search.
  • Customer Service documents use the prefix CS. For example, CS40021. To search for a specific document, navigate using the link at the top of the page, then click FAQs and Search on the left.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 51

Jump to solution

It works for me:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101446

If that popup continues I suggest contacting Technical Support - it's free via phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.

Or you can try the last suggestion in the FAQ.

kred65
Former Member
Message 26 of 51

Jump to solution

The link I get when I click on it is:

http://service.mcafee.com/ArticleNotFound.aspx

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 51

Jump to solution

I just clicked the link in my previous post and it works fine.  Maybe clear your cookies and try again?

kred65
Former Member
Message 28 of 51

Jump to solution

Sure - very strange as I can connect to anything else on the site but not the link you gave me.

albertl
Former Member
Message 29 of 51

Jump to solution

I think it may be a location issue - in another thread today, a moderator in the UK was able to see the document, but I (in the US) get the "error" page.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 51

Jump to solution

Strange...maybe busy servers?   Although why I should be so lucky in Canada I have no idea.  Here's the content of the FAQ:

Some customers may experience a loss of network connectivity and/or errors in McAfee Security Center after a recent update

Environment

Affected Suites:
All McAfee suites

Affected Products:
VirusScan

Affected Operating Systems:
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

Problem 1

After a recent update, customers are unable to access the Internet.

Problem 2

Customers are unable to perform any actions in the McAfee Security Center console. One of the following errors displays when you perform any operation in the McAfee Security Center console such as scans and updates:

• McAgent .exe –Application error -Error 0xc000009a
  • Script :misp://C:\Progra~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\VSJSRes.dll::ScanRunningMasthead.JS

This renders the McAfee Security Center console unusable and in some cases causes mcagent.exe to crash.Workaround 1If you are unable to access the Internet after the recent update, uninstall and reinstall your McAfee products.

1. Uninstall your McAfee consumer products using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel:

• Windows Vista and 7               
      1. Close all McAfee program windows.
      2. Click Start, Search, type Programs and Features, and click Go.
      3. Double-click Programs and Features.
      4. Select McAfee Security Center, click Uninstall, and follow any on-screen prompts.

• Windows XP               
      1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
      2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
      3. Select McAfee Security Center, click Remove, and follow any on-screen prompts.

2. When the uninstallation completes, restart your computer.
  3. When your computer restarts, go to http://home.mcafee.com and log in to download your products. For instructions on how to reinstall your McAfee products, see TS100342.
  4. When your products are reinstalled, check the DAT version and ensure that it shows 6809.

Workaround 2McAfee has released DAT version 6809 to resolve this issue. Perform the following steps to update to the 6809 DAT:

1. Check the DAT that is installed on the computer:

1. Launch McAfee Security Center.
    2. Click About in the top right.
    3. Check the DAT version for VirusScan.

2. Manually check for updates:

1. Open McAfee Security Center.
    2. Click the Updates drawer.
    3. Click Check for Updates.

3. If you are unable to update manually due to errors in the console, run the following commands to update the DATs from the command line:

1. Click Start, Run, type cmd, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users click the Windows Orb, type cmd, then right-click cmd in the search results window and select Run as Administrator.

2. Type the following command and press ENTER:

cd c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent

3. Type the following command and press ENTER:

mcupdate.exe /schedule

4. Check the DAT version installed on the computer again. The DAT version should show 6809.

4. If you still receive the error after the update completes, uninstall and reinstall your products:

1. Download the latest version of the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool from the following location:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

IMPORTANT: The MCPR tool is updated periodically when new McAfee updates and products are released. Always download a new copy of the MCPR tool before you use it to uninstall your product.

2. Navigate to the folder where you saved the file and double-click MCPR.exe.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users, right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.

3. If you receive a User Account Control dialog, click Yes to allow the program to run.
    4. At the McAfee Software Removal screen, click Next.
    5. At the End User License Agreement (EULA) dialog, click Next to accept the agreement.
    6. When prompted, type the CAPTCHA information to validate application security and click Next.
    7. If you have Family Protection installed, type your Administrator user name and password, then click Next.

If you are unable to authenticate, follow the on-screen instructions to obtain an uninstall code.

8. When you receive the message CleanUp Successful, restart your computer to complete the uninstallation.
    9. When your computer restarts, go to http://home.mcafee.com and log in to download your products. For instructions on how to reinstall your McAfee products, see TS100342.
    10. When your products are reinstalled, check the DAT version and ensure that it shows 6809.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/08/12 3:42:01 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community