Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryohija
Contributor
Message 1 of 51

Mcafee Internet Security - can't check for updates

Jump to solution

Hello, all:

I ran into problems with Mcafee Internet Security two nights ago.  It had apparently tried to update and autoscan at the same time.  Saturday morning, I tried to perform a manual Virus scan, and received the "VSOs undefined" error.

Steps that I took to fix the problem:

1.  Followed Document ID TS101331 to uninstall and reinstall using the Consumer Products Removal Tool MCPR.  All steps were successful to remove the Internet Security suite.

2.  Reinstalled the entire suite, including the Mcafee Online Backup.

3.  Used Mcafee Virtual Technician to verify that I had the latest and greatest (I did for Virus Scan and Online Backup, but not for the Security Center, Personal Firewall, Anti Spam, Parental Controls, or Mcafee Quick Clean).

4.  Forced a manual Virus Scan, and it worked with no issues.

When I tried to force update checks in Security Center, I received the "An Error Occurred" messages, followed by: "McAfee Update Manager Service stopped working and was closed."  Since then, I am unable to force update checks in Security Center.  I get the same error message, and now have an out-of-date DAT that I can't update.

Basic system configuration: Windows Vista Home, Service Pack 1, Dell.

Please help.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 51

Re: Mcafee Internet Security - can't check for updates

Jump to solution

Therre's a little more to that (which is linked at the top here, see the Announcement):  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/

TS101446:

Some customers may experience a loss of network connectivity and/or errors in McAfee Security Center after a recent update

Environment

Affected Suites:

All McAfee suites

Affected Products:

VirusScan

Affected Operating Systems:

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows 7

Problem 1

After a recent update, customers are unable to access the Internet.

Problem 2

Customers are unable to perform any actions in the Mcafee Security Center console. One of the following errors displays when you perform any operation in the Mcafee Security Center console such as scans and updates:

McAgent .exe –Application error -Error 0xc000009a

Script :misp://C:\Progra~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\VSJSRes.dll::ScanRunningMasthead.JS

This renders the McAfee Security Center console unusable and in some cases causes mcagent.exe to crash.

Workaround 1

If you are unable to access the Internet after the recent update, uninstall and reinstall your McAfee products.

Uninstall your McAfee consumer products using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel:

Windows Vista and 7

Close all McAfee program windows.

Click Start, Search, type Programs and Features, and click Go.

Double-click Programs and Features.

Select McAfee Security Center, click Uninstall, and follow any on-screen prompts.

Windows XP

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.

Double-click Add or Remove Programs.

Select McAfee Security Center, click Remove, and follow any on-screen prompts.

When the uninstallation completes, restart your computer.

When your computer restarts, go to http://home.mcafee.com and log in to download your products. For instructions on how to reinstall your McAfee products, see TS100342.

When your products are reinstalled, check the DAT version and ensure that it shows 6809.

Workaround 2

McAfee has released DAT version 6809 to resolve this issue. Perform the following steps to update to the 6809 DAT:

Check the DAT that is installed on the computer:

Launch McAfee Security Center.

Click About in the top right.

Check the DAT version for VirusScan.

Manually check for updates:

Open McAfee Security Center.

Click the Updates drawer.

Click Check for Updates.

If you are unable to update manually due to errors in the console, run the following commands to update the DATs from the command line:

Click Start, Run, type cmd, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users click the Windows Orb, type cmd, then right-click cmd in the search results window and select Run as Administrator.

Type the following command and press ENTER:

cd c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent

mcupdate.exe /schedule

Check the DAT version installed on the computer again. The DAT version should show 6809.

If you still receive the error after the update completes, uninstall and reinstall your products:

Download the latest version of the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool from the following location:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

IMPORTANT: The MCPR tool is updated periodically when new McAfee updates and products are released. Always download a new copy of the MCPR tool before you use it to uninstall your product.

Navigate to the folder where you saved the file and double-click MCPR.exe.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users, right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.

If you receive a User Account Control dialog, click Yes to allow the program to run.

At the McAfee Software Removal screen, click Next.

At the End User License Agreement (EULA) dialog, click Next to accept the agreement.

When prompted, type the CAPTCHA information to validate application security and click Next.

If you have Family Protection installed, type your Administrator user name and password, then click Next.

If you are unable to authenticate, follow the on-screen instructions to obtain an uninstall code.

When you receive the message CleanUp Successful, restart your computer to complete the uninstallation.

When your computer restarts, go to http://home.mcafee.com and log in to download your products. For instructions on how to reinstall your McAfee products, see TS100342.

When your products are reinstalled, check the DAT version and ensure that it shows 6809.

View solution in original post

50 Replies
Sc00ter
Former Member
Message 2 of 51

Jump to solution

It's an issue with dat file 6807.  You need to update to the 6809 emergency dat file which should be available.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101446

ryohija
Contributor
Message 3 of 51

Jump to solution

The article hotlink didn't work; "Article Not Found" is the message I received.

Sc00ter
Former Member
Message 4 of 51

Jump to solution

Some customers may experience a loss of network connectivity after a recent update

Environment

Affected Suites:
All McAfee suites

Affected Products:
VirusScan

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

Problem

Customers are unable to perform any actions on the Mcafee Security Center console. Any operation on the Mcafee Security Center console such as scans and update will lead to an error message on the user interface. This renders the MSC console unusable and in some cases leading to a mcagent.exe crash.

The cause is not known yet and being actively worked on by the Mcafee engineering team.

Workaround

From your Windows Desktop:

Step 1

1. From your Windows Desktop access the command prompt:
    • For Windows XP users: Click the Start Button click Run, type cmd, and click OK.
    • For Windows Vista and 7 users: Click the Start menu and type cmd in the Search Programs and Files field, and press ENTER.
  2. In the command prompt window, type ping download.mcafee.com and press ENTER.
    You should get a response of packets sent and received.
    If you receive an error message Request Timed Out, Unknown Host or Destination Network / Host unreachable you need to:
    • Type ipconfig Flush DNS.
    • Close the command prompt and check the browser connection by opening your browser and going to a web site.
Step 2
If you still cannot browse websites successfully, perform the following steps
  1. Open the Mcafee Security Center console by clicking on the M icon.
  2. Click and expand the drawer titled Web and Data Protection on the MSC console and click on Firewall link.
  3. Once the UI opens up, click on the drawer titled “Internet Connections for Programs.”
  4. After the list of Programs is displayed, ensure that your default browser program (e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, etc) shows Full under the Access column.
  5. Close these UI windows to go back to the MSC console.
  6. Try opening a browser window and connecting to a website.
Step 3
If you still cannot connect to a website:
  1. Click on the Web and Email Protection drawer.
  2. Click on the Firewall link, click on the “Turn Off” button to disable the firewall.
  3. Check the internet connectivity by opening a browser window and accessing a known website.
Step 4
If you are able to connect to a website with the Mcafee Firewall disabled:
  1. Uninstall and reinstall the Mcafee product using a Custom Installation flow without the Mcafee firewall (uncheck the Firewall option on the custom install window).
  2. Try checking your internet connectivity by opening web browser and connecting to a known website.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 51

Jump to solution

Therre's a little more to that (which is linked at the top here, see the Announcement):  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/

TS101446:

Some customers may experience a loss of network connectivity and/or errors in McAfee Security Center after a recent update

Environment

Affected Suites:

All McAfee suites

Affected Products:

VirusScan

Windows XP

Windows Vista

Windows 7

Problem 1

After a recent update, customers are unable to access the Internet.

Problem 2

Customers are unable to perform any actions in the Mcafee Security Center console. One of the following errors displays when you perform any operation in the Mcafee Security Center console such as scans and updates:

McAgent .exe –Application error -Error 0xc000009a

Script :misp://C:\Progra~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\VSJSRes.dll::ScanRunningMasthead.JS

This renders the McAfee Security Center console unusable and in some cases causes mcagent.exe to crash.

Workaround 1

If you are unable to access the Internet after the recent update, uninstall and reinstall your McAfee products.

Uninstall your McAfee consumer products using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel:

Windows Vista and 7

Close all McAfee program windows.

Click Start, Search, type Programs and Features, and click Go.

Double-click Programs and Features.

Select McAfee Security Center, click Uninstall, and follow any on-screen prompts.

Windows XP

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.

Double-click Add or Remove Programs.

Select McAfee Security Center, click Remove, and follow any on-screen prompts.

When the uninstallation completes, restart your computer.

Workaround 2

McAfee has released DAT version 6809 to resolve this issue. Perform the following steps to update to the 6809 DAT:

Check the DAT that is installed on the computer:

Launch McAfee Security Center.

Click About in the top right.

Check the DAT version for VirusScan.

Manually check for updates:

Open McAfee Security Center.

Click the Updates drawer.

Click Check for Updates.

If you are unable to update manually due to errors in the console, run the following commands to update the DATs from the command line:

Click Start, Run, type cmd, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users click the Windows Orb, type cmd, then right-click cmd in the search results window and select Run as Administrator.

cd c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent

mcupdate.exe /schedule

Check the DAT version installed on the computer again. The DAT version should show 6809.

If you still receive the error after the update completes, uninstall and reinstall your products:

Download the latest version of the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool from the following location:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

IMPORTANT: The MCPR tool is updated periodically when new McAfee updates and products are released. Always download a new copy of the MCPR tool before you use it to uninstall your product.

Navigate to the folder where you saved the file and double-click MCPR.exe.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users, right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.

If you receive a User Account Control dialog, click Yes to allow the program to run.

At the McAfee Software Removal screen, click Next.

At the End User License Agreement (EULA) dialog, click Next to accept the agreement.

When prompted, type the CAPTCHA information to validate application security and click Next.

If you have Family Protection installed, type your Administrator user name and password, then click Next.

If you are unable to authenticate, follow the on-screen instructions to obtain an uninstall code.

When you receive the message CleanUp Successful, restart your computer to complete the uninstallation.

stephenwin
Contributor
Message 6 of 51

Jump to solution

I have lost 3 hours work this morning due to this massive bug.

Needless to say with such poor quality, and the loss of money you have just caused me, there is no way on earth I will update once the free time I have runs out.  The 15 months 'trial' with a new Dell is a great way for you to demonstrate your skills over your rivals.  Unfortunately you have just managed to demonstrate you incompetence instead.

A very fed up McAfee user.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 51

Jump to solution

Well, sorry about that but all software can act up at any time, it happens.  We did try to help.

stephenwin
Contributor
Message 8 of 51

Jump to solution

With the internet forums starting to fill up with people affected by this issue your answer is 'software can act up at any time, it happens' !

Well as someone who writes software for a living I can assure you there is a cure to this 'acting up' at times, its called testing it prior to release, hence why I called it incompetence above.

albertl
Former Member
Message 9 of 51

Jump to solution

I wanted to note that the volunteer moderators here are not McAfee - they're users, just like us (but a lot more knowledgeable than me!), who are just trying to help fellow users.

I too am pretty angry about this debacle - after all, McAfee managed to do it itself (and its users) what malware writers everywhere would love to do: stealthily disable protection updates!  And I'm very disturbed that the reassuring check mark and green "Your computer is secure (no action required)" message still appears even though updating has failed - that's a flaw even worse than the bum update and really must be fixed.  The only way I found out about the problem was when I just happened to try initiating an update manually.  I rarely do that, so I could have gone indefinitely with no warning that my protection was out of date.

But the moderators have been the real heroes in this, keeping on top of the situation and sharing information even while dealing with the problem on their own systems.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 51

Jump to solution

stephenwin wrote:

With the internet forums starting to fill up with people affected by this issue your answer is 'software can act up at any time, it happens' !

Well as someone who writes software for a living I can assure you there is a cure to this 'acting up' at times, its called testing it prior to release, hence why I called it incompetence above.

I fully agree but obviously something excaped the tests that are done on all releases.    I'm only the unpaid messenger here and as this happened at a weekend we had nothing to go on until THIS appeared.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/08/12 9:35:10 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community