Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Acela
Former Member
Message 1101 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Sorry to post again.

Thanks for the heads up that this suggested fix does not correct the problem.

And although I appreciate Somer emailing me the other fix, it reportedly prevents new updates.

So as you suggest.........best to wait for the corrective update from McAfee.

However, when I think of the amount of personal time I have spent on this issue (searching the web, two unsuccessful consults with McAfee techs via chat line etc.) and the fact that McAfee in a post on 5/10/10 stated patch release in progress......thank you for your patience and cooperation........and  now 4 months later I still have not received the update, I will have to think long and hard when my subscription is up for renewal whether I should use another vendor for internet security.

Peacekeeper
Message 1102 of 1,143

Ok the fix is live everywhere BUT it depends on who you got your Mcafee from. Those supplied from Mcafee themselves ie boxed from a shop or online should get the fix when you click update.

If you got it from another source ie say dell or your ISP well that changes things as they limit when the update happens . This is out of mcfee's control though they may push for urgent fixes I suppose. A lot of users are still on 10.0 versions so they have slow scanning and other issues. The partners I hear decide when to move to the next patch in this case 10.5 as they QA test the patch themselves.

Re the manual fix we figured out why no update to 135 build for the firewall as the files were numbered 11.5.999 which is ahead of the real build number of 10.5.135 . Thus the updater says cannot put 135 in as 199 above it. Something to remember next time I suppose. So if it worries you reverse the instructions I gave you and delete tthe two files you copied and rename the .old ones to the deleted names. This of course with access protection disabled as mentioned in the notes I sent. reenable access protection and run update it will work

Angie I asked Somer to contact you if she doesn't PM me and I will send you step by step instructions.

Big patch coning within next two weeks fixes several other issues.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 14/09/10 11:40:59 AM
Acela
Former Member
Message 1103 of 1,143

When I purchased my laptop from Dell in 2005 it came with a 2 year subscription to McAfee. When that subscription expired, I received an email from McAfee asking me if I wanted to renew its software. I subsequently have renewed the subscription annually. I assumed that I was buying it directly from McAfee since the email comes from McAfee NOT Dell. However, when I checked my current subscription at the McAfee website - its says via Dell.

(1) So is Dell aware of the McSvHost.exe error - when I went on the Dell website Dell refers all inquiries regarding McAfee issues to the Mcafee website.

(2) If, and I am not eager to do this, I uninstall and then reinstall the McAfee Security Center, how do I know I will get the new corrected updated version since it is coming from a "partner"?

When I update now all I get is new versions of antivirus software.

This is getting messy - there are many partners - Dell, AT&T, Cox, Gateway, emachines, MSN, AOL .......McAfee should be McAfee (including updates) regardless of where it is purchased......

Peacekeeper
Message 1104 of 1,143

Now that is a good point. Can you open the security centre and go to navigation and about and tell me what affid number you are showing there. With that I can confirm whose your version is controlled by.

Acela
Former Member
Message 1105 of 1,143

Here is the information you requested:

Security Center

Last Update 8/5/10

Version 10.5

Build 10.5.194

Affld 105

Virus Scan

Version 14.5

Build 14.5.113

DAT Version 6105

DAT Creation Date 9/13/10

Personal Firewall

Last Update 8/5/10

Version 11.5

Build 11.5.131

Virus scan has updated on a regular basis

Peacekeeper
Message 1106 of 1,143

You appear to be dell version I think affid 105 is Dell.

Never seen it stuck at 194 the subscription version from mcafee updates to 195 it is the firewall that sticks at 131.

I would not worry or you can undo the manual fix wait for somer to step you through as dell 10.5 version should have the fix by now.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1107 of 1,143

Hey Acela,

Yes, Peacekeeper is correct. The options here would be to undo the manual fix (which would bring the error back until you got the update), or reinstall fresh and get the new copy with the patch built into it. I'm happy to assist you either way you choose to go, please send me another private message and we'll work on it.

Mullie
Former Member
Message 1108 of 1,143

well I undid the patch 2 days ago and mine is from McAfee but still stuck on 131 all my numbers are in a previous post.

Peacekeeper
Message 1109 of 1,143

Are you sure both files removed check their versions have to be lower than 135.

This strange maybe though I thought all servers for this issue now are unthrottled.

What is your affid in security centre details?

Mullie
Former Member
Message 1110 of 1,143

both files are 131 add after changing them back I get the error on closedown

Security Cen

Ver 10.5

build 10.5.178

Aff/id 7

Lang en-us

last update 24/07/2010

Virus Scan

Ver 14.5

Build 14.5.113

update 14/09/2010

Dat ver 6106

Dat Creation 13/09/2010

Engine Up 5400.1158

Firewall

Build 11.5.131

Last updte 12/09/2010

site advisor

Ver 3.1

Build 3.1.0.175

affid 7

lang en-us

update 24/04/2010

anti spam

Ver 11.5

build 11.5.131

update 24.06/2010

content ver 3622

content update 15/09/2010 09:02:06

Eng Ver 2.2.0.9149

parental

ver 12.5

build 12.5.111

Shedder

Ver 10.5

Build 10.5.108

update 24/04/2010

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community