cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Graffin75
Former Member
Message 931 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

ASUS K50ID Laptop (I connect to the internet via ethernet on my PC and wi-fi on my laptop & PS3).

It came with a Trend Micro trial (which I didn't even run)... so I just uninstalled that, along with a whole heap of other garbage and demos that were on there, rebooted, logged into my McAfee account, downloaded and ran the installer from there.

Yes, I have the very latest build (10.5.194) on both my desktop and laptop.

- Desktop... it has improved somewhat. The dialog box used to pop up every single time I shutdown. Now i'd say it happens every 2 or 3 shutdowns.

- Laptop... seems Windows 7 is a lot better at dealing with it. I've only *noticed* the error twice so far. That's probably because the error notification is a lot more subtle and it shuts the process down a lot faster. It's still very slow at "kicking in". There is still a couple of minutes where the action center flag has a red cross on it and if I read the notifications, it says I appear to have no anti-virus, no anti-spyware and no firewall installed/running. A couple of minutes later, the red cross disappears and apparently everything's as it should be.

In the case of my desktop, as my very first post reported... it's more of a nuisance than anything.

In the case of my laptop, if that leaves me open to hacks/attacks for those couple of minutes that it takes for the OS to recognise McAfee's there, then McAfee isn't doing its job (i've downloaded ALL of the updates for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit).

Seriously, how many more users need to come forward to tell you guys that there is a problem with the McSvHost.exe service/process?

If it wasn't required in previous builds of McAfee products, is it really required now?

Couldn't the software be patched so the McSvHost.exe is no-longer needed and removed?

I know of dozens more users who are experiencing similar issues and errors with McSvHost.exe, but I guess not everyone comes onto these forums. They either ignore the problem or switch programs... and i'm inclined to go with the latter.

I know you guys have been helpful. I've done the whole uninstall/reinstall with the latest MCPR downloaded from the McAfee site, posted on here, spoken with tech support, but here I am with the same problem over 5 months since I first reported the issue, and now on another PC with a completely different operating system.

Sorry guys. I think it's time to change.

edufrnslv
Former Member
Message 932 of 1,143

Dear All,

One day my Windows XP notebook got a new mcAfee automatic updated version going from the Internet Security (v9.0) to the new version 10 of the McAfee Total Protection software...

..one interesting thing that happen was that another desktop PC what was running and on at home connected to the same network did not update when mine notebook unit did it. I called McAfee Help Desk 0800 number and they explained me that this is a normal situation

From that single day my notebook, got a problem.

I will describe it: everytime I had to reboot or shutdown Windows XP (professional) I had a "blue screen" during the end of shutdown with some warning message of  fatal error thus holding and freezing my PC from working, except if I hold the shutdown button for a few seconds to release it:

Error  IRQL-NOT_LESS_NOR_EQUAL Stop: 0x0000000A (ox000000b0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804EF424) Phisical Memory Dump.

Few weeks later then my desktop PC Windows XP based suffer the McAfee automatic updating process. Do you know what happen to it, well, this PC started to present the same problem and same message of error! Interesting to see was that in this notebook the McSvHost was presented as a previous error message before the blue screen are presented that I did not realized in my notebook shutdown process

Any comments from McAfee?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 933 of 1,143

Hi,

I've done a little research on your error: Error  IRQL-NOT_LESS_NOR_EQUAL Stop: 0x0000000A

Generally, this type of error is caused by a bad hardware driver. It's possible your system drivers aren't all up to date, or there's a problem with one of them, and that didn't become obvious until a major application was uninstalled and a new one installed (like your anti-virus software).

If you're still getting the blue screens, try disconnecting all external hardware (any USB stuff), restarting, and running a Windows update.

Regarding McSvcHost errors, I don't have anything new to report, but a lot of very interesting things have happened in the last week and we hope to have some news very soon.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 934 of 1,143

I also got the update to 10.5.194 on Thursday night. So far , so good. No shutdown errors.

poodles5
Former Member
Message 935 of 1,143

My update came thru this morning-

uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 936 of 1,143

I also got the update, but the problem is not fixed.

Kidd
Former Member
Message 937 of 1,143

Just to throw a spanner in the works, last week I decided to uninstall all McAfee and just install SiteAdvisor.

I now use:-

McAfee SiteAdvisor

Avast Free 5.0.594

Malwarebytes Pro 1.46

Superantispyware Pro 4.41.1000

Pc Tools Firewall Plus Free 6.0.0.88

Win XP Pro SP3

2g Ram

Twice now over the week I get the shutdown error with 'FWService.exe' replacing 'McSvHost.exe'

Kilroy
Contributor
Message 938 of 1,143

Is it possible that the root cause of this problem is virus or something to that effect that is not being detected McAfee Antivirus?

Peacekeeper
Message 939 of 1,143

No it is mcafee's new program not closing correctly and another 9 causes none viral as far as my info says.

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 940 of 1,143

Hi, had the update on the 22nd, and after 2 shutdowns (22nd july evening & 23rd july evening) no error, and low and behold last night on shutdown (24th july) guess what !?!?! the error...

Mezzy

ps, seems to me that the update did "help" the issue if you like, but not cure it.

Also, my netbook STILL has not recieved its update.. and automatic updates are ON.

on 25/07/10 13:15:55 IST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community